Author Topic: old newspapers  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Pollynation

• RootsChat Senior
  • The picture that started it all
    • View Profile
old newspapers
« on: Thursday 09 September 04 18:32 BST (UK) »
(Re:Yorkshire Evening Post. 1958)

My aunt has a copy of an old newspaper with reference to my grandfathers inquest.

The paper she wants to keep , but is quite tatty and i was not able to scan it good enough to read.

I phoned the newspaper to see where i could find archives, i told her the date and the details and hey presto! She took my name and address and is posting me the article :)

I thanked the woman i spoke to, i didn't think it would be so easy. They have everything in a library at the newspaper on film.

Pauline
Atkinson/Mountney/Gardner/Mellor/Finch/Higham-Lancashire
Cooper/Price-Shropshire
Lund/Foster/Wilkinson/Crawforth-Yorkshire
Calvert-Durham

Whoever said seek and ye shall find was NOT a genealogist.

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
Re: old newspapers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 September 04 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Polly,

I am always telling people to contact local newspapers,  they can be so helpful.  Most of them keep their back issues and are often pleased to find someone with an interest in their publications.

They can be very useful for coronor's details,  that is how I found all the details about a death of a child in my family,  it had turned into a family myth and bore no resemblance to the facts as reported by the Coronor.

If you find the newpaper staff less helpful,  local librries usually hold copies on microfilm,  but they usually need you to come and search youself.

I am glad you have had a positive experience,  good luck,

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline v i c k y

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 July 05 18:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for sharing this. It has given me the encouragement I need to contact a local newspaper and library to enquire about a family death. In our case, it was a hit-and-run in the Sixties. Er, I don't know the date or precise details, that's the only problem. ::) Still, no harm in asking, eh? :)

Thanks again and all the best with your research.
Barrington, Westerman (originally from Hannover), Long (originally from Prussia), Lorymore, Flyng, Porter - all Bristol, Gloucestershire.
Grimes - Bridgwater, Somerset.
Lamb - Poplar, Essex, Hither Green, Kent.
Dwan, Turner, Cole, Carter, Walker, Kay, Hughes, Maplesden - all St Olaves/Bermondsey/Rotherhithe/Southwark/Stepney/Lambeth/Wandsworth.

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 July 05 19:46 BST (UK) »
I have used the microfilm copies of the old Nottingham papers to answer inquest queries for Rootschat. They have been very good on detail and provided the enquirer with the information they wanted. It is best if you know a fairly accurate date as they are pretty hard work doing a search.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline v i c k y

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 July 05 20:13 BST (UK) »
Oh God, then I'm in for some pretty hard work. I know the decade. And I know it wasn't the first two years of that decade. :P
Barrington, Westerman (originally from Hannover), Long (originally from Prussia), Lorymore, Flyng, Porter - all Bristol, Gloucestershire.
Dwan, Turner, Cole, Carter, Walker, Kay, Hughes, Maplesden - all St Olaves/Bermondsey/Rotherhithe/Southwark/Stepney/Lambeth/Wandsworth.

Offline Pollynation

• RootsChat Senior
  • The picture that started it all
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 July 05 20:51 BST (UK) »
I have also used Doncaster Archives, they have a good record of newspapers.

Unfortunately , unless you know the year, it will take some time to find your death. It might be easier to go to the records office and get a death certificate first. Then you will know the date of death and it will be easy to search the newspaper records.

Best wishes
Pauline
Atkinson/Mountney/Gardner/Mellor/Finch/Higham-Lancashire
Cooper/Price-Shropshire
Lund/Foster/Wilkinson/Crawforth-Yorkshire
Calvert-Durham

Whoever said seek and ye shall find was NOT a genealogist.

Offline v i c k y

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 July 05 20:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tip, Pauline. I should do that. I imagine it will be like trying to find a needle in a haystack otherwise! Wouldn't it be wonderful if everything was in a neat, easy-to-use database and you could just search by surname or date of birth or place? ;)