Author Topic: Edward Brannen ( Brennon) from Currea  (Read 3936 times)

Offline tullosboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Edward Brannen ( Brennon) from Currea
« on: Sunday 18 December 05 00:35 GMT (UK) »
My ggg Grandfather was Edward Brannen and he was born in Currea? Sligo in 1795.

My problem is where or what was Currea?, I have tried Googling it but found nothing.

Is or was it a it a parish? and if so where do i best look to find further information on him, I have a firm birthdate and year thanks to British military records.

Any suggestions,  Thanks!!

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Brannen ( Brennon) from Currea
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 December 05 06:33 GMT (UK) »
Tullosboy:

Here is a possibility  http://www.thecore.com/seanruad/cgi-bin/iresrch

Curry    in the townland of Leyny
                       parish of Achonry

From Lewis
"In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish forms the benefice of the dean, and is divided into three portions, called the Upper, Middle, and Lower Divisions; the first is Curry, in which there are two chapels, one at that place and the other at Moylough ; the second is Cloonacool, in which also are two chapels, one there and the other at Tubbercurry ; and the third is Mullinabriny, which has one chapel."

And from  http://www.n-ireland.co.uk/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000067.html

mcnickle
  posted 04 July 2003 01:27 PM             
~~~~~~~~
Hi all,
Can anyone tell me the Irish for the town of Curry in Sligo.

Thanks.

IP: Logged

enfield
  posted 04 July 2003 05:10 PM             
~~~~~~~~
In old Irish it is Cuirreach in modern( 20th century) Irish it is Currach. It means the morass,and can also mean a racecourse.

Hope this help.

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline Maggie64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 January 06 01:35 GMT (UK) »
hi Tullosboy, here is maggie64,  I just joined rootschat today.  I wanted to contact you because we are related to this family.    Edward Brannen was my gggg grandfather also.   I just got his army papers from National Archives from London England.  Yes I just learned about his birthplace Currea.  I already wrote letter to Curry parish church in Sligo and asked for their help.  No luck because all Irish records are good after around the year 1864.   Of course we could not find Currea on the map of Ireland.   Someone from Curry Sligo just emailed me that Currea could be Curry or Carreira.   Very frustrated.  I am curious if you find any more Irish roots on his family in Ireland? Did you find anything on his parents?  i have no idea who was his parents or any brothers or sisters.   All i know that he was a private soldier with 88th Connaught Rangers he joined army at aged 18 in Sligo in May 1813 and was discharged from army in October 1822 illness and unfit.  Please would you tell me his birthdate?  I know that he was born in 1795 correct?   and he died in 1851.  I just found out about him when i was on holidays back home in Dundee Scotland 3 months ago, i went to Dundee Library and was doing research on microfilms on census 1851 from Montrose (that is where his family settled down after war).  He was listed as Chelsea pensioner and born Ireland so i hired a researcher who went to Kew London to find his army papers recently.   Help me more to find more about his family.    Please contact me if you know anything about Edward Brannen (Brennan/Brannan).   Any information on him will be much appreciate.   Thank you again.
Margaret :)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 May 06 15:14 BST (UK) »
My ggg Grandfather was Edward Brannen and he was born in Currea? Sligo in 1795.

My problem is where or what was Currea?, I have tried Googling it but found nothing.

Is or was it a it a parish? and if so where do i best look to find further information on him, I have a firm birthdate and year thanks to British military records.

Any suggestions,  Thanks!!

Hiya tullasboy,

This is the second time I have given a joint reply. teap78 and I answered one on another topic. This time niftyfifty47 has given me some assistance. In response to my message to her about Currea Nifty sent me a reply as follows "I know of a place in Sligo called Curry....it is on the Sligo/Mayo border about 3 miles outside Charlestown in Mayo" I then looked at an old AA Book of Ireland and it also shows Curry in Co. Sligo. The Irish for Curry is An Chora meaning The Weir. 

All the Best, Chris

Curry

Offline Padhraicin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 September 06 21:59 BST (UK) »
Brennan is a very common name in the parish of Curry, Co. Sligo, and there are a lot of Brennan families still living there.   It is also an area where many people emigrated from to UK and USA and many of those were Brennans.   
There are two theories on the meaning of the name "Curry". 
Curry, it is said could be "the weir" as somebody suggests, and there is a weir on the river there.  The other theory is that it is Curraigh meaning "marsh".
There are a number of other places in the area with "curry" as part of the name -
Tubbercurry - "the well in the marsh" and "Ballincurry"- " the town in the marsh".
One clue that might help is that it was traditional to keep the same first names in families so, if you find another Edward Brennan at a later period in the records, you may be finding the same Brennan family.

Although the name is spelled "Brennan" in the Curry area, it is still pronounced as "Brannon" coming from the Irish "O'Braonain".

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 November 06 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Re; my re-post as Enfield, a moderator on the other forum.
(http://www.n-ireland.co.uk/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000067.html)
Perhaps it could be Curreal which is cor-aoil, the round hill of lime. This is a townland in Kerry.
Regards.
 Tom.