Author Topic: 1841 Census Lookup - Chamberlain  (Read 4792 times)

Offline jackhammer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1841 Census Lookup - Chamberlain
« on: Sunday 18 December 05 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Could somebody look up Rose Annie Chamberlain in the 1841 or 1851 Census
She was born around 1834 in Aston Wallingford Berkshire. I'm interested in her parents and other family members

Many thanks Jack

Offline HarryW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • G Grandfather - Albert Spencer 1861 - 1926
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census Lookup - Chamberlain
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 December 05 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Jack,

Can't find anything in the 1851 census using 5 different spellings of CHAMBERLAIN.

Regards
Harry
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

My Interests:

Berkshire: Amor, Beard, Creed, Gale, Noakes, Pearmain, Spencer, White, Willis
Cornwall / Devon: Arscott, Coram, Cundy, Eastlake, Minedue, Reeve
Essex: Ager, Garrad, Linsell, Pearmain
Hampshire: Noakes
Norfolk: Fox, Spencer, Wilkins
Northumberland: Ager, Bell, Cundy, Gair, Robinson
Oxfordshire: Allmond, Beard, Burton, Cobb, Creed, Hilsdon, Nichols, Shurville
Wiltshire: Amor
Yorkshire: Bell, Fox

Offline jackhammer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 December 05 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Harry

I wonder if she and her family were still in the area in the 1841 Census

Regards Jack

Offline Oxfordshire FHS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 December 05 17:44 GMT (UK) »

I wonder if she and her family were still in the area in the 1841 Census

Hi Jack

The 1841 census of Oxfordshire and North Berkshire has been transcribed and indexed by the members of Oxfordshire FHS, who are the copyright holders.

I've checked in our index for your Rose Annie CHAMBERLAIN, and can't see her. There are nine variants on the surname, and I've looked at all of them.

I've also checked the incomplete Oxfordshire Baptism Index, and I can't find her baptism. And I'm not aware of an Aston, Wallingford !

From what source did you obtain your information about her birth ? We need to consider how accurate it is.

Best wishes.

Paul Gaskell
Minutes Secretary and Publicity Officer
Oxfordshire Family History Society
Web : www.ofhs.org.uk
E-mail : publicity@ofhs.org.uk

Offline jackhammer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 December 05 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Paul

Thank you for your reply. Yesterday I received a copy of Rose's daughter's birth certificate. It shows Rose as married twice. She was born Rose Annie Kirkpatrick and her first married name was Chamberlain. I am assuming her first husband died and she married Henry Hardy who is the father of their daughter. I have my suspicions the marriage to Henry may have taken place after the birth of this child although Rose does show her surname as Hardy on the birth certificate. This, I will have to look into.

As I didn't know about the previous marriage I thought Chamberlain was her maiden name. I don't know her first husband's christian name.

The LDS records show a Rose Ann Kirkpatrick christened 17.1.1832 at Aston Tirrold Berkshire, which is a village S.W. of Wallingford just past Cholsey. It is adjacent to Aston Upthorpe. Her parents are shown as William and Sarah Kirkpatrick.

Sorry to throw you such a red herring

Regards Jack

Offline Oxfordshire FHS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 December 05 12:58 GMT (UK) »

The LDS records show a Rose Ann Kirkpatrick christened 17.1.1832 at Aston Tirrold Berkshire, which is a village S.W. of Wallingford just past Cholsey. It is adjacent to Aston Upthorpe. Her parents are shown as William and Sarah Kirkpatrick.

Sorry to throw you such a red herring

Hi Jack

I'm sorry, but I think that you might be going up a "blind alley" here. I can't find :-

1. any marriage of William and Sarah KIRKPATRICK in either this society's Oxfordshire Marriage Index 1538-1837 or our North Berkshire Marriage Index 1538-1851.

2. any baptism of Rose Ann KIRKPATRICK in the incomplete Oxfordshire Baptism Index 1538-1851.

3. this KIRKPATRICK family in this society's index to the 1841 census of Oxfordshire and North Berkshire.

However, most importantly, the members of Oxfordshire FHS have transcribed and indexed the parish registers of Aston Tirrold St Michael. The transcript of the baptism register does not reflect any baptisms on 17 January 1832, and certainly no baptism of Rose Ann KIRKPATRICK.

You mention "LDS records". Exactly what were you looking at ? And if it was the IGI, was it a patron submission ?

Best wishes.

Paul Gaskell

Offline jackhammer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 December 05 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Paul

You may well be right about the blind alley but I hope not. While the LDS records cannot be guaranteed they are usually quite reliable. This particular one is an IGI individual record - Batch No. C035761 Dates 1738-1837 Source Call No. 0583985
Items 13.14 Church Records Aston Meeting House (Aston Tirrold :Independant)

I suspect the baptism church is not St Michaels or if your Oxfordshire Baptism Index 1538-1851 is incomplete perhaps Rose Annie Kirkpatrick is one that is yet to be added

Her parents William and Sarah may not necessarily have married in Berkshire or Oxfordshire.

The Kirkpatrick family may not have been in Berkshire at the time of the 1841 Census. LDS records show a Rose Ann Kirkpatrick marrying William Chamberlain on 16.8.1856 in Shoreditch, London.

According to the LDS family search records the baptism of Rose Ann Kirkpatrick was at Ind Chapel-Nc, Aston Tirrold, Berkshire and I must admit that church does have me baffled.

Thanks for your help, look forward to hearing your views,

Regards Jack

Offline Oxfordshire FHS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 January 06 20:51 GMT (UK) »

Hi Jack

Now that you've mentioned that a nonconformist chapel was involved, I've revisited this and have good news !

The registers of Aston Tirrold Presbyterian (United Reformed) Church have been transcribed and indexed by the members of this society, and are available on microfiche and CD. The index of baptisms shows that there were fourteen KIRKPATRICK baptisms at this church in the period 1741 through to 1832, the last one being that of Rose Ann KIRKPATRICK :-

17 January 1832 Rose Ann KIRKPATRICK d of William & Sarah, resident in Aston Tirrold.

That would seem to confirm what you already knew, but has it actually moved your research forward ?

Best wishes.

Paul Gaskell

Offline jackhammer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 January 06 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul

Thanks for the information, the confirmation all helps with the accuracy of my family history

Regards Jack