Author Topic: GLASS FAMILY --Urquhart,Logie Wester  (Read 17692 times)

Offline AusJohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: GLASS FAMILY --Urquhart,Logie Wester
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 27 November 08 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello mrsaid,

Re Glafs spelling -
While researching Glass family tree and on a visit to Inverness Library last year where we viewed the films held  there we came across this spelling many times.

We did not find any McKenzie alias Glafs references in Inverness but only had one day there and and much more time is needed to look at all entries. Hope to visit local LDS Centre in Australia to view films more thouroughly when I have more time.

We do have two marriages into the McKenzie family. If your interested I can give details.

As far as I can tell Glass is a less common name in the Highlands but seems to have existed there since at least the early 1700s and in our particular line around the Kinkell area which is located near Conan Bridge. Occupations given on various documents are farmers and crofters. The land all around here was McKenzie holdings and various castles were built in the area to defend their land among them Kinkell Castle in 1594. Prince Charlie is said to have been concealed there in a secret hiding place during the Rebellion of 1745. A number of Glass's were charged in connection with the Rebellion (as too were McKenzie's) and I would like to find if there is a link.

I have not heard of Glassfield before but noted today there is a place name in the Black Isle listed as Glasfield. Perhaps someone reading this knows the location.

Thanks for your information
Regards Sandy

Glass-Urquhart,Logie Wester,R&C /Paisley /Dumbarton /Port Glasgow
Lampier/Baverstock/Symonds/Penrose-Cornwall
Gunter/Pollington-Sussex
Seller-Cornwall/Govan
Wyncoll-Kent

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 23 January 09 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have a Jessie Glass McDonald from Urquhart & Logie Wester, Ross and Cromarty in my family.  She was a daughter of Thomas Glass McDonald and Annie McDonald and lived at Balgalkin Cottage, Conan Bridge.  She married a John Menzies in 1895.  Don't know if there is any connection with your Glass family or not!  I was over in Scotland in August last year but unfortunately didn't get time to research that area of the country...too busy doing Glasgow!  Do hope your trip is successful and you find the missing pieces!

Andrea (Melbourne)
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies

Offline mrsaird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 23 January 09 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello mrsaid,

Re Glafs spelling -
While researching Glass family tree and on a visit to Inverness Library last year where we viewed the films held  there we came across this spelling many times.

We did not find any McKenzie alias Glafs references in Inverness but only had one day there and and much more time is needed to look at all entries. Hope to visit local LDS Centre in Australia to view films more thouroughly when I have more time.

We do have two marriages into the McKenzie family. If your interested I can give details.

As far as I can tell Glass is a less common name in the Highlands but seems to have existed there since at least the early 1700s and in our particular line around the Kinkell area which is located near Conan Bridge. Occupations given on various documents are farmers and crofters. The land all around here was McKenzie holdings and various castles were built in the area to defend their land among them Kinkell Castle in 1594. Prince Charlie is said to have been concealed there in a secret hiding place during the Rebellion of 1745. A number of Glass's were charged in connection with the Rebellion (as too were McKenzie's) and I would like to find if there is a link.

I have not heard of Glassfield before but noted today there is a place name in the Black Isle listed as Glasfield. Perhaps someone reading this knows the location.

Thanks for your information
Regards Sandy

Hi Sandy Had a look at old notes I made whilst on visits to the Inverness Public Library. In 1819 under OPR births there is one for a Janet born daughter of Duncan McKenzie alias Glafs, crofter Brae of Dunvournie and to his wife Janet Gray. Brae of Dunvournie is just above Conon Bridge on the Black Isle and is where Glasfield is.
In the OPR for 1716 again on April 15 Kenneth Glais in Lianaich and a child baptized Janet.
In July 15 1716 Donald Glafs in Dunvorny had a child baptized Angus.
1716 July 15 Donald Glafs in Dunvorny had a child baptised Katherine.
In 1718 on August 10 Kenneth Glass in Easter Kinkell had a child baptized Christian.
In 1738 July 2 Margaret lawful daughter to Donald Glafs and Christian Macklone was born June 7th. July 2 would have been its baptism.
1747 October 29 Ranald son to John Glais, pauper, in Belneben. (today this is Balnabeen, a lot depended on the literacy of the person keeping the records and often is written as it sounds).
In 1748 June 28 Ronald Glafs in Findon had a child called John.
1749 March 16 James Glafs in Culbokie had a child baptised Finlay.
1749 August 6 Ronald Glafs in Findon had a child called Ronald.
1751 August 2 Thomas Glas in Belneben had a child called Isabel.
1751 Ronald Glas in Findon had a child called William.
1752 May 19 Hugh son to John Glafs and Jannet Urquhart in Dunvorney born 25 May.
1752 October 19 Katherine lawful daughter to James Glafs and Margaret Fraser in Culbokie baptised 19th October.
1758 March 2 Baptised by Rev Donald Fraser, Katherine daughter ot Archibald Glafs tenant in Balmerctonath? this spelling, and to his spouse Helen Urquhart.
1758 December 10 Glafs Margaret daughter to James Glafs in Kilbokie (Culbokie).
1760 October 12 Janet daughter to Archibald Glafs in Culbokie and his spouse Helen Urquhart.
1761 January 30 Mary daughter to Alexander Glafs, servant to Lady Gairloch begot in fornication with Isabel MacLeod, late servant Findon. Kenneth Glafs presented the child.
1761 May 3 Donald son to James Glafs in Findon and Margaret Fraser his spouse.
1762  February 5 William son to James Glafs in Findon and to Margaret Fraser his spouse.
1762 February 5 William son to William Glafs in Loggie and to his spouse Florence Mckenzie.
1763 May 1 Hellen daughter to Archibald Glafs in Kilboke and to his spouse Helen Urquhart
1764 July 1 & 4 Mary daughter to Murdoch Glafs begot in Fornication with Ann Carnoch.
1766 May 13 Janet daughter to Murdoch Glafs in Balnaben and to Catherine Mac? begot in fornication.
1768 Mary daughter to Glafs in Findon and his spouse Margaret Urquhart.
1769 October 6 Christian daughter to John Glafs, Piper in Balnaben and to his spouse Catherine Mackenzie in presence of Donald Mckenzie in MUlchaidh.
Hope I haven't missed any out.
regards Wilma

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 23 January 09 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Gravestone in Nonikiln, nr. Alness

Sacred to the memory of Peter MacIntyre for many years tenant of the farm of Dalnavie, who died there 18th Aug 1876 age 78 years, and of his wife Elizabeth Glass who also died there who also died there 25th Oct 1888 age 83 years. Also of her sister Isabella Glass who died at Inverbreakie 7th Sep 1893 age 98 years. Also their son William who died at Stettenham 19th Aug 1898.

Offline AusJohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 25 January 09 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Andrea,
Good to hear from you but unfortunately I don't know if we have a connection.
If I could find the parents of John Glass who married Catherine Gray 24th Feb 1780 both of Kinkell I would perhaps be able to find other members of his family and a link to yours.
There are several possibilities from close by areas for John Glass but have not been able to find one born in Kinkell and so seems impossible to pick the correct one from elsewhere if the record exists at all. He was a farmer (possibly in Kinkell)  as this is stated on his son Williams Death Cert.
On Williams 1841 Census living Upper Kinkell Ag Lab. There is a MacDonald family listed.
On Williams 1851 Census living Kinkell Farmer of 8 acres but no MacDonalds on this page.
On Williams 1861 Census living Kinkell District Crofter there is a MacDonald family listed.
On Williams 1871 Census living Kinkell District Crofter - 3 MacDonald Families listed.
Some of these MacDonald families look like they could be possibly the same ones carried through as similar names and aging.
If you would like the MacDonald names listed let me know.
I guess all this shows is that there are MacDonalds living around Kinkell area but they may have no relationship to either of us. As you know the MacDonald Clan is a big one.
My personal thought is that as Glass is an unusual name in the Highlands our families probably are linked somewhere ..... its just the finding.
If I ever do find a link between us I will be happy tolet you know.
Regards Sandy
Gunter/Pollington-Sussex
Seller-Cornwall/Govan
Wyncoll-Kent

Offline AusJohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 26 January 09 06:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ghostwhisperer

Don't know if there is any connection for sure but Isobella age at death of 98 years is fantastic  :)
John Glass and Catherine Gray had a Isobel born 19th June 1796 Urquhart Logie Wester so age would be right but no Elizabeth as far as I know.
Last child born to this couple was Isobel but no further info available on her.

Regards Sandy
Gunter/Pollington-Sussex
Seller-Cornwall/Govan
Wyncoll-Kent

Offline AusJohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 26 January 09 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Wilma,
What can I say  :D
What a great lot of information. Thanks so much.
I have had a quick look at whats there and I don't know if any is relevant to our John Glass.
Was hoping to find a reference somewhere with Kinkell as place of birth.
I realise the places listed are all nearabouts but with very little information about John other than his marriage to Catherine 24 Feb 1780 which states of Kinkell and then the births of their children there is nothing earlier so he could be one of many listed born around there.

I do note the Kenneth Glass entry 10 Aug 1718 a child Christian.
I have a copy of this page from the OPR which we obtained on our visit to Inverness Library June 07.
Also the Janet Gray/ McKenzie entries are interesting.
A lot of the first names on your list are represented in our family tree.
John, Finlay, Archibald and William on the male side Catherine, Margaret and Isobel on the female side.

Will need to scrutinize the list a bit more. Certainly lots of options.
A big thankyou  :-*
Best Regards
Sandy
Gunter/Pollington-Sussex
Seller-Cornwall/Govan
Wyncoll-Kent