Author Topic: GLASS FAMILY --Urquhart,Logie Wester  (Read 17693 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: GLASS FAMILY --Urquhart,Logie Wester
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 January 07 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Had another go trying to find Finlay and he's still hiding  :-\

In respect of Margaret, I think she is certainly, from the censuses and DC verification, a sister to your Finlay. Why her mother has been indexed as Margaret Gray, I have no idea other than probably you would have to see an original extract from the OPR to see whether there has not been an error. She is living with William in 1841:

Margret Glass    45, b. R & C    
William Glass    45, agri. lab., b. R & C    
Elizabeth Gilanders  12, b. R & C

Address: Upper Kinkell, Urquhart, R & C

As you say, she is still with William in 1851 at Kinkell before dying in 1859:

Margaret Glass 61, sister
William Glass    56, head, tanner of 8 acres
Janet McLennan    14

After this William went to live with (or they came to him) Finlay and Ann in Kinkell, where they show together in 1861.

From the info you posted, Ann Gray/McKenzie's DC, and confirmation that she was a widow by 1886, I tried to find her in 1881 and no joy. I have (after battling with the wildcards) found Ann, by now a widow, and brother in law William living together in 1871.......under surname GLAP ( :'( - or scream!).

So, all I can say now is that Finlay died between 1861 and 1871.

I'm not sure how much you have on the other lines. I'll post separately for clarity.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 January 07 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Now on to sister Ann, with her death entry: 1863   GLASS ANN GRAY/ MCKENZIE age 80    @ KNOCKBAIN/ROSS AND CROMARTY   FROS Ref: 073/00 0036   

She is indeed another sister to Finlay. Her marriage on IGI I would think:

ANN GLASS  Marriages: Spouse: DONALD MCKENZIE      
Marriage:  15 MAR 1805  Urquhart And Logie Wester, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland

And some of her children, actual extracts from the OPRs:

1. DOND. MACKENZIE  Christening: 27 JAN 1818 Knockbain, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
2. ANNE MAC KENZIE Christening: 23 MAY 1815 Knockbain, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
3. MARGT. MACKENZIE Christening: 17 JUL 1823 Knockbain, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
4. ISOBEL MACKENZIE Christening: 22 OCT 1807 Urquhart And Logie Wester, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
5. JOHN MACKENZIE Birth: 09 NOV 1809/ Christening: 10 NOV 1809 Killearnan, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
6. KENNETH MACKENZIE Birth: 27 JUL 1812/ Christening: 28 JUL 1812 Killearnan, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland

And her entry on the 1851 Census:

Ann Glass 65, crofter, head, b. Ferintosh, Urquhart
Catherine McKenzie 28, daugh
Donald McKenzie 30, son
An Mitchell    3

Address: Muckerinch, Knockbain

She is living alone there in 1861, age 73, a pauper.

Regards.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 January 07 22:00 GMT (UK) »
And lastly Catherine. Catherine as you know married a Donald McGregor. Children showing to them on IGI, a mix of submitted entries and actual extracts from the OPRs:

1. CHARLES MC GREGOR  Birth: 27 MAY 1826/ Christening: 06 JUN 1826 Urquhart And Logie Wester, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
2. DONALD MACGREGOR Christening: 21 AUG 1816 Urquhart And Logie Wester, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
3. KENNETH MC GREGOR Christening: 02 DEC 1822 Urquhart And Logie Wester, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
4. WILLIAM MC GREGOR Christening: 19 JAN 1814 Urquhart And Logie Wester, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
5. ALEXANDER MC GREGOR Christening: 17 MAY 1819 Urquhart And Logie Wester, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland

Catherine's 1861 Census entry, a widow by now probably, prior to her death in 1862:

Charles McGregor 30, head, agri. lab.
Alexr McGregor    40, brother, shoemaker
Catherine McGregor 72, mother
Betsy Dingwall    15, servant

Address: Newton, Urquhart

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 January 07 22:35 GMT (UK) »
The final sister Isobel that is showing on the birth OPRs, I can find no trace of. She may have died pre 1851 Census (easier to search for ages and places of birth). I can't easily see any marriages that may connect to her either.

Finlay remains the puzzle, taking us back to your first post  :-\ He seems to be the only one of the family who ventured out of R & C. I can see his marriage in 1810 in Barony, Glasgow and son Malcolm born a couple of years later. Then his marriage in 1842 to Ann Gray also in Glasgow. I can't see him in Glasgow in 1841 Census, but wondered whether he was already living with Ann Gray by this point which would make sense of this entry in 1841:

Ann Glass  35, b. Scotland          
Finlay Glass 5, ship's carpenter (?) b. Scotland   
James Glass 20, ship's carpenter b. Scotland

Address: Finiston Horroch St, Barony, Glasgow.

Having exhausted the wildcard searches for his death in R & C, I had a thought re poor relief records for wife Ann. I have no idea whether she was a registered pauper, receiving funds. If so, I wonder what, if any, poor relief application records there may be for her for that period in Urquhart?

Gadget here on RootsChat has a wealth of knowledge on R & C, I'll ask her to see if she can provide any pointers  :)

Regards.

Monica

Offline AusJohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 January 07 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Thanks again,I will begin absorbing that lot  :D  And compare with what I have.
Your last post revived memories of another of my time consuming searches,that of James Glass 20 .That Census is his one and only mention I have ever found.

Regards
John
Glass-Urquhart,Logie Wester,R&C /Paisley /Dumbarton /Port Glasgow
Lampier/Baverstock/Symonds/Penrose-Cornwall
Gunter/Pollington-Sussex
Seller-Cornwall/Govan
Wyncoll-Kent

Offline AusJohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 January 07 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Well,spent most of the day sorting through your info and spent a few more dollars with SP.
All worked out well,thank you  :-*
The 1851 Census with Catherine McKenzie created the Catherine/Margaret problem again  ::) (No birth for a Catherine to Ann,only a Margaret)Ann Mitchell is the result of a birth with parents Catherine McKenzie and Peter Mitchel
With the Catherine and Donald McGregor/Grigor,they have two children under this surname as well William 1811,John 1812 , John was a witness on Catherine's DC
Time for a rest :P
John
Gunter/Pollington-Sussex
Seller-Cornwall/Govan
Wyncoll-Kent

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 January 07 09:43 GMT (UK) »
John

The main point to remember with pre official registration entries ( pre 1855) in the Old Parish Registers is that they are not inclusive. You're fortunate that a number of your lines have corresponding OPRs entries (some families like mine have none  :'(), albeit as you have found with some gaps.

It may be that some of the OPRs have been lost/destroyed over the years, or indeed that some births/marriages were never registered. That aside, given the period you are looking at, you have enough there with what entries there are and the start of censuses, to be able to piece most of the family together.

The lack of death info pre 1855 (never mind Findlay's entry post official reg.) means it is very hard to check whether someone died or 'disappeared' (maybe emigrated). Your only route there is to see whether any MIs exist in published form.

Regards.

Monica  :)

Offline AusJohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 January 07 06:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Well ,at least with your help we have made a little more progress.
We will be over there in May and June for a look around and some research.
Looking forward to the trip

Regards
John
Gunter/Pollington-Sussex
Seller-Cornwall/Govan
Wyncoll-Kent

Offline mrsaird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 23 November 08 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Just a couple of points. The death entry for an Ann. Have you viewed the entry:

1863   GLASS ANN GRAY/ MCKENZIE age 80    @ KNOCKBAIN/ROSS AND CROMARTY   FROS Ref: 073/00 0036   

This shows mother's maiden name as Gray. Unless this entry has been mistranscribed, Ann was either a Glass who married a McKenzie (or the other way round) whose mother's maiden name was Gray........so, if correct she could be the missing sister to your Finlay.

The original image for Finlay at his brother William's in 1861 would show whether he was a widower.

Similarly, the entry for an Isobel:

1883   GLASS   ISABELLA   age 87   @ ROSSKEEN/ROSS AND CROMARTY   GROS Ref: 081/00 0051   

It would appear from index that she was single as no other surname shows. It also doesn't show mother's name which is a pity (a fairly recent introduction by SP, not sure how far along this indexing has got). Just double checking that you are aware that Isobel and Isabella are all variants and easily interchangeable. So, she may be your missing Isobel.

.......as for Finlay, I cannot begin to think how he has been indexed. I've searched with minimum letters for him, F* *SS, and still nothing  :'(

Regards.

Monica

If you look at the Old Parish Records for Urquhart you will find that Glass was spelt Glafs which in time became a double 's'. There is also quite a number of records where the Surname is given as McKenzie alias Glafs. My husband's family were always called the Glass's even though they are Mackenzies. We have a family joke 'you may be a glass but we cannot see through you'. How they got the alias or nick name of Glass we have yet to discover, but it has been suggested that at Dunvournie above Cononbridge there was/is a place called Glassfield and that is where some of the McKenzie's settled after they were cleared from the West Coast.