Author Topic: Help with reading signature  (Read 8931 times)

Offline grendlsmother

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help with reading signature
« on: Sunday 18 December 05 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hope someone can help with reading this surname.  James ???? is listed on my great-grandfather's death certificate as "brother-in-law", but as I know the names of all his brothers-in-law, I am assuming that he was actually the husband of a sister-in-law.   Knowing who he was, and then perhaps finding his wife would greatly assist in my fruitless search for the birthplace of my great-grandmother for whom I have no record previous to her marriage.

The death certificate is Peter McCormick, Coylton, 1893 and I would imagine this James is somewhere in the 30 - 60 age group.   Possible wife's surnames, Brown, Kerr, Logan, Thomson, McGregor (but could be anything).   Any ideas what this signature is or, even better, do you know who he was?
Ayrshire: McCormick (mack); McFadzean; Kerr; Brown; Paton; McGregor; McDonald; Moffat; Connel; Bone
Dumfries/Lanarks: (pre-1840) McDonald; Moffat; Bone; Hamilton; Hyslop; Sandiland; Bredwood; Kerr; Brown
Ireland (pre-1820) McCormick (Monaghan)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with reading signature
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 December 05 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Looks like James DEVOY - but why isn't the upright of the D straight like the B?
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 December 05 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm, looks like Devoy or Deroy to me?  The former gets hits as a name on the igi.

Are there any other Ds on the page for comparison?

Pam
 :D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline grendlsmother

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 December 05 23:49 GMT (UK) »
No other "Ds" on the page, or any other capital letter that resembles this one.   I have tried James Devoy on IGI and not come up with anything at all - what did you key in?   I have also tried Berry, Delroy, Denny, Perry and various other combinations.   Some come up, but not with a suitable surname for the wife.   I'm really stuck with this one - don't know if you have read my previous post - searching for Jeannie Brown - if I could identify this guy it could give me the clue I need.

Thanks for all suggestions and would be interested in details for James Devoy on IGI.
Ayrshire: McCormick (mack); McFadzean; Kerr; Brown; Paton; McGregor; McDonald; Moffat; Connel; Bone
Dumfries/Lanarks: (pre-1840) McDonald; Moffat; Bone; Hamilton; Hyslop; Sandiland; Bredwood; Kerr; Brown
Ireland (pre-1820) McCormick (Monaghan)

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 December 05 00:11 GMT (UK) »
I just put in James Devoy and Bristish Isles and got 12 hits mostly from Dublin.

Just a thing I do if it's an odd name, helps let me know if it's a possibility.

P
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Anni B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 December 05 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Probably no help at all, but - my first instinct (before looking at any other answers) was that it could be Deary.  I know, the a and r are formed differently in other parts of the image and the D is supect .......... could do with more of this person's handwriting to check if his a and r differs depending on the letter before it. 
FWIW
Anne

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 December 05 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Could it perhaps be "Leroy"?  ???
Prue

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 December 05 02:15 GMT (UK) »
I'd say that the last letters are definitely "evoy" which would probably make the first one likely to be D, so Devoy.  I don't know of other names with "evoy" as the ending.  That first letter is formed pretty much the way I would expect to see a D written.  Just out of interest, what did you make of the word in brackets under brother-in-law?

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 December 05 02:47 GMT (UK) »
Yes, looking at it again I can see that what I thought was an "r" is not the same as the other "r"s on the page, so I concur that it is most probably "evoy" and the first letter is probably a "D"

I thought the word at the bottom was a really badly written "Present" - meaning present at the death.

Prue

P.S.  Don't forget that the term "in-law" had wider connotations than it does today - apart from the modern usage, it could have meant a step-brother or some other tenuous relationship