Author Topic: french huguenots  (Read 96204 times)

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
Re: french huguenots
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 04 February 06 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patricia,
How quick was that!!  I will have a look at the sites, many thanks.  Us possibly originating from Italy is news to me but absolutely nothing surprises me any more about family history - stories you grew up with prove to be slightly embellished and altered etc. ???

Regards,
Maggie
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarkyP

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Monday 27 February 06 11:19 GMT (UK) »

I came across this looking for French ancestry - I'm posting it - in case it can help somebody regarding Hampshire !!

Hello Annie, I'm very interested in Huguenots in Hampshire, unfortunately not in the surnames you gave  :( But it has given me another avenue of attack, so thanks.  :)

Patricia, is there any chance that you might be able to look up the name of Jerom, who were supposedly Huguenots from La Rochelle and settled in the IOW  around the beginning to middle of the 18th century.

Thanks, Mark.
Jerome - Hampshire (including IOW)
Parsons - Surrey, Somerset and Devon

Offline Jones the Search

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mark  :)
Nothing on the CD.
Have a look on IGI for Hampshire. There is an entry 1583 for Edward Jerom Freshwater I.O.W Hampshire England.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/customsearchresults.asp
It is more likely that the name  Jerom came from Norman invasion . The Huguenots arrived 1618 - 1688
The Oxford Dictionary of English Surnames sites examples of the Jerrom, Jerome (and all its variables) as being recorded as far back as 1206.
Hope this helps your search  8)
                     Patricia  :D
Short: Lincolnshire; India;London;Scotland; Limerick; Belfast<br />Lane: Surrey/London/Northampton/Hereford/Cheshire/Staffordshire<br />Occomore: Hampshire; London<br />Heaton: Yorkshire; Derbyshire;London
Cutts: London;Derbyshire; Yorkshire;Lancashire
One Name Study -  OCCOMORE
~~~~~~~~-------
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarkyP

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Patricia, greatly appreciated.  :)

I do have definite information that they were Huguenots, in as much as names have been found out and even property discovered. Unfortunately this was found out some years ago before genealogy became fashionable and I believe the person who made these discoveries is no longer with us, and there doesn't appear to be any records of where he got his info! I've been to the IOW records office, but that was before I really knew what I was doing so I think another visit is in order. Although I'm still a relative beginner!  :(

Offline Jones the Search

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark  :)
Have you tried contacting this site?
http://www.huguenot.netnation.com/general/
If you are really sure it might be worth a try.
I too was told that my family originated from Huguenots. (I bought the CD ) and went wizzing past their arrival date.
The fact that you have and entry on the IGI for 1583 is a good lead. I expect the record office for the I.O.W will be delighted to help you.
Best of luck.Let me know how it goes ???
                Patricia  :)
Short: Lincolnshire; India;London;Scotland; Limerick; Belfast<br />Lane: Surrey/London/Northampton/Hereford/Cheshire/Staffordshire<br />Occomore: Hampshire; London<br />Heaton: Yorkshire; Derbyshire;London
~~~~~~~~-------

Offline MarkyP

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 02 March 06 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Patricia, I have got that site bookmarked, but never really explored it, I'll give it a go.

Mark.

Offline Elleray Girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Alice Gornall (1909 - 1973)
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 02 March 06 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Dear Patricia,

Would you be able to look and see if there are any Ellerays (Ellray, Ellrah, Elleary alt spellings!) or Parkers? My grandfather always said that there was a hugenot connection in the family - the Ellerays were silk dyers in Cumberland.

Many thanks,

Karen
Elleray (Cumberland), Wren (Keswick), Parker (L'Pool and Cheshire), Bray (Cheshire), Gornall (Lancashire), Smithies (L'Pool), Rainford (West Kirby), Pinches (Shropshire and Wirral), Wilson, Walton and Merrick (Haddenham, Bucks)

Offline Jones the Search

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Friday 03 March 06 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Karen  :)
Nothing on the CD .
The Oxford Dictionary of English Surnames , links the name Ellery to the name Hillary;
This in turn sights Hillary, Hillery, Elleray,Ellery, Elray;
The earliest reference is dated 1177.
 It is rather too large to copy here, but try and get a site of the book.The name appears to emanate from France, but obviously before the Huguenots.
Hope this was useful  8)
                         Patricia  :)
~~~~~~~~-------

Offline Elleray Girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Alice Gornall (1909 - 1973)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Friday 03 March 06 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patricia :)

Many, many thanks - I will go to the Library tomorrow and take a look!

Kind Regards,

Karen
Elleray (Cumberland), Wren (Keswick), Parker (L'Pool and Cheshire), Bray (Cheshire), Gornall (Lancashire), Smithies (L'Pool), Rainford (West Kirby), Pinches (Shropshire and Wirral), Wilson, Walton and Merrick (Haddenham, Bucks)