Author Topic: french huguenots  (Read 96223 times)

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
Re: french huguenots
« Reply #135 on: Thursday 19 September 13 10:15 BST (UK) »
Finished checking, Roger - no more mentions of Moule I'm afraid.

Maggie  :)
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Thursday 19 September 13 11:51 BST (UK) »
Finally ........

More on the Wagner Collection here:-

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Wagner_Huguenot_Pedigrees

Hi Maggie,

Could I ask if you know anywhere these family names are listed online?

I do have one of the Huguenot CDs concerning the Dublin church records and have found the same name as one of my ancestors mentioned.  However I seem to have a gap of about 50 years to bridge in order to make a connection back to the Huguenot families from this lady named Mary Nobileau, mentioned in the late 1700s and early 1800s, and others in Dublin with the same family name and similar spellings who can be traced back to Saumur.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Thursday 19 September 13 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Patricia I wonder if you would mind checking the name Hulet / Hulett for me please? most grateful to you.      sue

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Thursday 19 September 13 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi DudleyWinchurch,

I'm not managing to find anywhere that they can be viewed online but they have been micofilmed and are available to view at Family History Centres, more detail here:-

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/279321?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Also they have been re photographed by the Huguenot Society of London and are available for purchase as a set and also on individual fiche by Surname. Perhaps a phone call to the Huguenot Society may help.

http://www.huguenotsociety.org.uk/contact.html

Maggie

Added with apols  ...........   Sorry DW - I seem to have not read your request properly at all  :-[
I shall have a look for the name Nobileau

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Thursday 19 September 13 16:32 BST (UK) »
Well that is a start Maggie; thanks. I know they retained the surname Moule but it seems reasonable to start looking for a Peter Moule I would think?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Thursday 19 September 13 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Patricia I wonder if you would mind checking the name Hulet / Hulett for me please? most grateful to you.      sue

Hi Sue,

I'm not Patricia I'm afraid but thought you might be interested that I've found this:-

The name Hulett appears in a list of names entitled Research Files in the Huguenot Library.  

There is an introductory paragraph pointing out that over the years many Fellows of the Society have donated pedigrees of their families or some of their working papers. These are available in the library, arranged in alphabetical order, and are a first port-of-call for most researchers.
The files also contain many of the reports of the Research Officers. The following is the list of names for which there are envelopes.

However it is pointed out that in a few cases a report was compiled to show whether a surname had Huguenot connections and it turned out not to have, so the presence of a surname in this list is not evidence in itself that the name is Hugenot.

There is no further mention of the name on my CD (‘Huguenot Families’ issued by the Huguenot Society of Great Britain & Ireland.)

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Thursday 19 September 13 16:38 BST (UK) »
Well that is a start Maggie; thanks. I know they retained the surname Moule but it seems reasonable to start looking for a Peter Moule I would think?

Glad to be able to provide a little bit of help Roger.  The best of luck in finding out more of Peter Mussel  ;D

Maggie  ;)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Thursday 19 September 13 16:43 BST (UK) »
That's a point Maggie,thanks, I Anglicised the Christian name, but not the surname i think because it seems to have been retained as Moule.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Thursday 19 September 13 16:53 BST (UK) »
Thankyou very much indeed for all the information Maggie. Very kind of you and a great help.