Author Topic: Kilgour's and Shives of Peterhead  (Read 3964 times)

Offline patti02

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Kilgour's and Shives of Peterhead
« on: Monday 19 December 05 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Happy Holidays Everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone has any family connections to either the Kilgour's or Shives of Peterhead. I would love to share information with you :)

Patti

Offline trishmac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kilgour's and Shives of Peterhead
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 April 06 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Patti
I have Shivases (Ellon and previous to that Old Deer) in my line and have some background to the name.
It is supposed to come from Chievre in Belgium, and started off as 'De Shevez'. The spellings vary: Chevez; Chivas; Schives; and every permutation you can think of! Most settled on 'Shivas'.
The old Barony of Shivas is in Tarves - the House of Shivas is still there. They were, originally, Anglo-Norman barons. In 1360 in the Parish of Tarves, John Shivas, proprietor of lands there, had a son, John. In 1393 John was granted safe conduct to travel to Oxford to study. This John de Schevez was Clerk to King James 1 (1406-1437).
In 1478, John de Shevez's younger son William Schevez became Archbishop of St Andrews. He was a brilliant scholar who was educated at Louvain under Spricus the Astrologer.He studied Theology, Astrology and Medicine.
The Shivas family also had lands in Fife.
In 1450 the House of Shivas was built by Gilbert Gray and the Barony passed out of Shivas hands, till eventually, in 1467, it was resigned to the Gordons of Huntly.

Aberdeenshire Shivases are all supposed to descend from these Shivases. Three distinct groups settled in Carngall, Longside; Dudwick, Ellon and Stuartfield, Old Deer.

Your challenge, Patti, should you wish to accept it, is to find a link from your Peterhead Shiveses to the information above! Do that and you will never be stuck for something to say when people ask you how far back you have got!

I have a lot more info which I got from a lady in New Zealand (so may have become like 'Chinese Whispers', because I can't remember where she said she got it from.) Having said that, it has all the hallmarks of someone doing a thorough bit of research.
It runs to a couple of sides of A4, so am reluctant to type it out again unless it is of interest. One bit which might be relevant is that a Thomas Shivas was a tenant in Middleton of Rora, Longide, in 1535. A wee bittie nearer to Peterhead!

Smith, Whitecross, Watson, Gibson, Thom, Jamieson, Sangster, Johnston, Reid, Robertson, Fidler, Arthur - mainly in Slains and Cruden. Park in Peterhead.
Mutch in Ellon/Belhelvie/Foveran. Robertson, Forbes in Ellon.  Shivas in Ellon/Old Deer. Allan in Old Machar. Keith, Ironside in Old Deer. McKenzie , Brownie in Skene. Watson, Milne in Monquhitter/Lonmay. Shepherd in Belhelvie/Tarves.

Offline patti02

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 May 06 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish! :D

Thanks so much for your help with with my query. I have found the link I was looking for. I had to travel to Peterhead, from Nova Scotia, Canada to get it, but it was well worth it.  My husband David and I just got home yesterday from our visit. The connection we have is that a William Shives, merchant in Peterhead, married one of Bishop Robert Kilgour's daughters. Katherine to be exact. Their son Robert Shives, my husband's 4th great grandfather immigrated to New Brunswick, Canada somewhere around 1805-10. Robert had siblings who remained in the Peterhead area. A brother Alexander is listed in Pigot's Directory of 1825 as also being a merchant in Peterhead. He married a Mary Ann Rae. If anyone would like  more information on these families I would love to share it.  Thanks again Trish. Your help is much appreciated!!!!

Patti Craig

Nova Scotia Canada 

Offline trishmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 May 06 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Patti

I have a copy of 'Peterhead Parish 1801 Census Material' which was compiled at the time by the minister, Rev George Moir. discovered in the 1990's and now printed (with index) by the ANESFHS. Being fairly new to Rootschat and having read the bit about breaching copyright, I take it I can't transcribe the info on Shiveses, but there are a few mentioned - Alexander, John, two Roberts and a William - some living together at Broadgate. There is only one Kilgour (Mrs - not v. helpful!) - also in the centre of town.
It doesn't give a lot of information apart from confirming they are there, how many people of each sex are in the same house and what type of employment they have.

Of course, you may have a copy of this already, but just thought I'd mention it.

Trish
Smith, Whitecross, Watson, Gibson, Thom, Jamieson, Sangster, Johnston, Reid, Robertson, Fidler, Arthur - mainly in Slains and Cruden. Park in Peterhead.
Mutch in Ellon/Belhelvie/Foveran. Robertson, Forbes in Ellon.  Shivas in Ellon/Old Deer. Allan in Old Machar. Keith, Ironside in Old Deer. McKenzie , Brownie in Skene. Watson, Milne in Monquhitter/Lonmay. Shepherd in Belhelvie/Tarves.

Offline kiwikaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 July 06 05:59 BST (UK) »
I am a descendant of John Shivas from Old Deer. Aberdeen and would love to be able to share info with others also interested in the family. I also have ironside and Littlejohn on the tree. Kaz
Shivas

Offline kiwikaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 July 06 06:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Patti, I have a Ross Kilgour (mother Reah Petrie) on my tree, plus I am a descendant of Shivas from Aberdeen, so may have some connection there. ;D
Kaz
Shivas

Offline RShives

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Patti,

I'm Rev. Robert Shives, currently in Martinsburg WV.  I've been tracking my Shives lineage and get stuck in New Jersey in the 1700's.  Do you show any Shives coming down this way?  I find it amazing I have the same name as a great grandson to Bishop Kilgour who consecrated the 1st American Bishop for the US Episcopal Church in which I am now a priest.  Love to hear from you .
Bobby