Author Topic: James Taylor and "the Whitworth Doctors"  (Read 7910 times)

Offline sandrapickles

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Taylor and "the Whitworth Doctors"
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi John. One of my ancestors, William Seacroft, variously describes himself as cow doctor, doctor, bone setter etc. I've got a report of an inquest in 1843, when he was in trouble for not treating someone correctly. It states, " he was bound an apprentice to the Whitworth doctors, by the Parish, not to learn surgery or the medical profession, but simply as their menial servant..."   This was Stanningley, W Yorkshire, but I'm not finding anything about Whitworth doctors in this area,

Offline Jill11

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 17 January 22 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi John, I am a descendant of John Taylor of Lockwood, he was brother to James Taylor of Whitworth. I don't know if I can help with your research or vice versa! I am mostly researching Betsy Taylor daughter of John Taylor who married John Chadwick, they lived on the Heights Estate, Rochdale which they inherited from James Taylor.

Offline buchanantaylor

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 21 December 23 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello.
I am undertaking research on the Whitworth Doctors and would be interested to share notes.
Regards, John Birch
[Hello John, Robert Taylor here, I have just opened a tin box of family memorabilia and discovered my own descent from the Bonesetters. Included in the box is a pamphlet record of a Lloyds Robert Lecture in 1933 in Manchester on Early medicine in Lancashire. Unsurprisingly the Taylor dynasty gets comprehensive coverage, included in the pamphlet is a genealogical tree showing the family's  Eighteen medical practitioners up until the end of the 19th century. Also included is a copy of a humourous contemporary engraving in the style of Hogarth showing the original James Taylor of Whitworth abandoning the Bishop of Durham during his blood-letting treatment to minister to a sick horse at his door. if you would like me to copy all of this for you, glad to do so. I am desperate to obtain a copy of the 1977 book The Taylors of Lancashire by John L West (1977) but like  to avoid buying a copy from the USA at a considerable cost, any links or family history shares you can make would be truly appreciated, Rob

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 31 December 23 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi buchanantaylor,

You need to click the reply button rather than the quote button to send a message  ;)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 11:42 GMT (UK) »
There was mention earlier of the Heights estate.  Did you know that there is a Heights Lane off Whitworth Road in Rochdale, which is probably connected with the Heights estate?  It's close to Falinge Park.

"Heights Lane is a residential area located in Rochdale, Lancashire, with the postcode OL12 0PX.01 It is situated off Whitworth Road (A671)."
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline tcw25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 06 January 24 23:20 GMT (UK) »
No reference to the Whitworth Doctors, but I assume some of you have seen this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Taylor_Chadwick

He was raised by an uncle, Dr John Taylor, but seems to have been born to a James Chadwick and Sarah Taylor. 

I am trying to determine if he was related to Thomas Chadwick J.P. and/or his wife Ruth Taylor, of Urmston, who are ancestors of mine.  But as someone said above, there were an awful lot of Chadwicks and Taylors around.