Author Topic: Dwyer what part of Ireland is it from?  (Read 10734 times)

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dwyer what part of Ireland is it from?
« on: Wednesday 21 December 05 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I am stuck to where my Irish ancestors were from, only their names and they were born in Ireland.
Someone told me you can tell where a person is and isn't from by their surnames.
Is this correct?
The names are DWYER and McMANUS.

If I could just narrow down my search abit, it could help me.

Thank you.

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Dwyer what part of Ireland is it from?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 December 05 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Seasons Greetings Pettsy,

I love this comment of yours. Someone told me you can tell where a person is and isn't from by their surnames. Is this correct? I wish things were that simple. It would save the searchers who assist visitors to the Irish boards much hard work. Sometimes we are able to hazard a guess as in this instance. The McManus family may come from Tyrone. The Irish genealogy searchers bible may assist you - http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php Please submit more information and dates. You will be surprised at the amount of information you receive from Irish searchers, a few of whom live in England. Those in England include the Irish searchers extraordinaire, Saz and Steve, distant relations of mine so the enthusiasm appears to run in families. Anyway we are all one big happy family here at RootsChat.  I can make an educated guess at the names and assume both these families are from the Roman Catholic branch of the Christian faith.

Best Wishes, Christopher

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 December 05 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christoper,
I know it is very vague  ;D
I wish it were that easy too.

All I know is they had a son in 1863, born in London, and my mothers granny was also born in London in 1873.
My mum's father was Catholic, so they must have been also.

Thomas Dwyer married Jane McManus, but I do not know if it was in Ireland or England.

I wish we asked more questions when he was alive. :-\

Thank you for showing an interest and giving me some advice.

Regards

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 December 05 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pettsy,
A couple of questions -
Are Thomas and Jane the ones who had the son in 1863 ?
Have you seen them on any censues- occasionally I have seen a place of birth on a census?
I have had a quick look and can't find anyone yet.
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 December 05 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood,
Thank you helping me try and solve this puzzle.
Yes their son Thomas was born in 1863, and they daughter in 1873.

I had problems finding them on any census.
I found their son Thomas living with his sister, and his brother in law (she was married by then to a Richard Swift, and living in Chelsea, 1901 census)

I did find a Thomas Dwyer and a Ellen Dwyer, both born in Ireland (it does not state which part)
I know her name was Jane, but as her daughters middle name was Ellen it is a possability, and all I have found so far.
I just do not understand why they would not be on a census.

Pettsy
Munn New Jersey and Oz

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 December 05 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Pettsy,

I have a feeling Chelsea in the 1900s was an area for the "well to do" or wealthier members of society.  We need to consider the occupations of your ancestors. Were they servants, in trade or members of society? They must appear on a census somewhere. Are there any interesting first or second Christian names that may help us. Sometimes the second names are a pointer as in my case Hulme is my grandmother's maiden name.

Keep hunting,  :)

Chris

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 December 05 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher,
I have lots of family on both my mum and dad's side from Chelsea, from early 1800's.
No posh ones.

On Carolines birth certificate, her father was a general labourer.
They lived at 129, Pimlico Road, Chelsea. (her mother could not write)
One Carolines marriage certificate 29th May 1892 at St Mary in the fields, in the city of Westminster, London. (it's in hangover square)
Her father was still alive and a general dealer.
I think I may have to get her brother Thomas birth certificate from c1863, and see where he was born, but on the 1901 census while he is living with Caroline it states he was born in Chelsea too.

If I look for the death certificates it will not say where they were born??  :-\

And Caroline was a servant when she married Richard Swift a musician.

Thank you for taking an interest and trying to help, I really would love to find out where they were from for my mother.Very kind regards.

Pettsy
Munn New Jersey and Oz

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 December 05 19:38 GMT (UK) »
My mum has just received some certificates today from the FRC.
One of them is the death of her fathers brother, aged 12 weeks in 1903.
Present at death is Jane Dwyer nee McManus,Grandmother, so I now know she was alive in 1903.
And it was a Chelsea address.
She must on a 1901 census somewhere, but where  :-\
If I find her death, I can find out her birth year at least.

Why can't be have the same system as the Scottish certificates  >:(
Make it a lot easier.

Pettsy
Munn New Jersey and Oz

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 15:28 GMT (UK) »
I still cannot find a death certificate for Jane Dwyer.
The last record I have of her is her grandson death in 1903.
Is there any way I could look for her death certificate?
There has to be a record of her somewhere  :-\

Any ideas?
Munn New Jersey and Oz