Author Topic: Dwyer what part of Ireland is it from?  (Read 10735 times)

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dwyer what part of Ireland is it from?
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 16 February 06 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Ok I now have just received Jane Mc Manus birth certificate and her sister Caroline.
Their parents were William Mc Manus and Caroline Kierman (hard to read, but that is what it looks like  ???)
Both born in Chelsea.
William was a plasterer (like by dad  ;))

I still cannot find the marriage of Jane Mc Manus and Thomas Dwyer, I have searched the books twice  ???
And she was not a widow on her marriage cert, so she wasn't married before.

Don't think I will ever find out  ???

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 16 February 06 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pettsy,
So do you think that jane daughter of William and Caroline is your Jane?
As I said, if they are catholic - it might be a good idea to search Catholic records of the area for the marriage.
Best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 17 February 06 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood,
I do now yes, as you said before there is the Caroline link too, and she named her daughter, my g grandmother Caroline.

I cannot makeout Caroline (ggg grandmother) name
Kiernan or Kierman  ???
I will have to take it to the FRC on Thursday and see if they can read it.

Now if Jane Mc Manus was born in Chelsea, I am sure she would have married in Chelsea, but I cannot find it.

We now know Caroline Kiernan/Kierman was born in Ireland, and married William Mc Manus who was a East Indies British Subject.
Where did they marry, I have no idea.

It would have been late 1830's to early 1840's

I have searched them books to no avail!!!!!
But I will keep looking  ;)

Also I couldn't find Thomas Dwyer, son of Thomas and Jane, but I did find a William Thomas Dwyer, so maybe his fist name was William after his grandfather, but he chose to call himself Thomas.
I wont know unless I order yet another certificate  ???

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 17 February 06 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pettsy,
I thought that perhaps Caroline was Kiernan - I have seen it written Keirnan too. Anyway I looked that up for 1851 and there are some variations of that name etc but I was struck by an Owen Kiernan who was an Irish soldier at the Tower of London. (I don't think that he is necessarily anything to do with Caroline.)
However as we do jump from one idea to another I then entered McManus- it does alter your results whether you space between the Mc and M. I found at HO107/1472 folio 542 pg 10 Chelsea Royal Hospital :
Thomas McManus head 57 yrs scullery man b Ireland
Mary McManus 54 yrs Laundress Little Bedwing Wiltshire
Ellen McManus 16 yrs Laundress Chelsea
It occurred to me that perhaps this is the parents of William - a long shot but there is the East Indies connection - maybe military etc. Just another thing to mither you with!
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 17 February 06 19:52 GMT (UK) »
There is the Ellen connection too.
I am going to pm you.

Thanks

Pettsy
Munn New Jersey and Oz