Author Topic: Dwyer what part of Ireland is it from?  (Read 10732 times)

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwyer what part of Ireland is it from?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 January 06 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pettsy

As Christopher has said it's impossible to be sure of someone's place of birth from their surname - if it was I should have been born in Mayo (rather than Yorkshire!  ;D ).

What we can say is where a name originated or was particularly prevalent.  I understand that the Dwyer family was common in Tipperary and the Mc Manus (or Mac Manus) family were possibly from Fermanagh.  Fermanagh is of course next to Tyrone which Christopher referred to so it could be either.

I'm sure this won't help (sorry) but thought it worth mentioning just in case.

Best wishes

Ticker

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 January 06 22:55 GMT (UK) »
I understand it is impossible to tell where someone is from by their name, as my great gran was born in Chelsea, London (with an Irish name  ;)) but I am so desperate to find out which part of  Ireland they were from, any clues.

Thank you for your message, as any piece of info I receive is very helpful, now I know about Tipperary, it may help in my research.

Perts
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 January 06 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pettsy

I usually suggest the following sites, some of which may be of more interest than others for your surname search.  They make help to direct you to an area where the names were most common.

The General Register Office of Ireland

The Public Record Office of Northern Ireland

Irish Roots

The National Library of Ireland

Irish Genealogy

Genealogical Society of Ireland

Irish Ancestors

National Archives of Ireland

If you use the second last one (in bold) and search for the surnames it will show you where the name was most popular in the 1850s/1890s.  You should see it confirms the Tipperary link for Dwyer.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know what you find.

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 January 06 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pettsy
it's me again - please don't get your hopes up!
Do you know for sure that Thomas and Jane were born in Ireland and were not just of Irish heritage.
There is a Thomas and Jane whcih sometimes fits the bill andf others times does not.
I am sending a pm because there is such a lot of names for you.
Apologies if you have already been down this route!
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 January 06 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pettsy,

Here is a site that may help you. Keep your eye on it as it is updated regularly. http://members.webone.com.au/~sgrieves/irish_burials.htm

Good Luck with your search

Chris

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 January 06 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ticker,
Lots of links to keep me busy  ;) I will let you know what I find out, fingers crossed.

Heywood I have sent you a pm.
My grandfather always said his mother was a " Little Irish lady" but we since found out she was born in Chelsea, London, so we presume her parents were Irish.
I cannot find their marriage at the FRC I looked from 1857 - 1864 (just after Thomas was born) but I will look again at other dates.
I cannot find Caroline b1876 on any Cenus with her parents either.
I have her birth, marriage and death certificate. But only can find her on the 1901 census  :-\

Christopher, thank you, I have spotted 5 Dwyers on there, so I will keep on looking.

Thanks

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 January 06 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Hei Pettsy,

Here are loads of McManus marriages in Ireland
http://members.aol.com/manus/mcmmar01.htm

This McManus Directory includes a lot from Ireland
www.dallas.net/~mcmanus/mcm_dir.htm

Best Wishes, Chris

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 08 January 06 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Pettsy,

Probably the best site for getting an idea of the occurrence of a particular name in Ireland is the free surname search at:
http://www.ireland.com/ancestor/

And yes - it does confirm that DWYER was commonest in Tipperary, and MCMANUS in Fermanagh.

JAP
PS:  Sorry Ticker - I've just noticed that you mentioned that site in your list.

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 08 January 06 06:45 GMT (UK) »
Pettsy,

As far as I can see, there is really no hard evidence to indicate that either of Caroline's parents came from Ireland.

I've searched and searched the censuses but without any luck.  Your people - if they are in the England and Wales censuses - are very well hidden indeed.

I guess you saw the following (on FamilySearch):
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

As you say, it probably would be worth getting Thomas's birth certificate - or at least see if you can find it in the indexes.  It would be good to be able to confirm that he actually was born in Chelsea and ca 1863.  And to see his parents' names and father's occupation.

JAP