Author Topic: Sarah/Kate HENNING 1891  (Read 1775 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Sarah/Kate HENNING 1891
« on: Thursday 22 December 05 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Help- I am trying to trace the whereabouts of sarah Henning - born Verwood, Dorset around 1865. I have her in 1871, living with her mother and stepfather in Pokesdown, Nr Christchurch, Hampshire. (Her father died in 1877.) but cannot find her in 1881. I have her mother and the rest of the family but no Sarah! In 1886, she gave birth to an illegitimate son in Ringwood, Hants, but I cannot find her in 1881 or 1891. She is listed as a domestic servant on the birth certificate in 1886.
I have tried to trace marriages but to no avail. Any ideas please!!!!!!!!
Caroline >:( :'(
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah/Kate HENNING 1891
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 December 05 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caroline

Have you looked for her under her step-father's name too (what was that?)

What is her full name?  You put Sarah/ Kate??

Were there children of the previous marriage that she might have been staying with?

Do you mean her step-father died 1877 and when did her father die?

What was the son called & have you found either of them on later censuses?

Sorry about all the questions!

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 December 05 12:25 GMT (UK) »
I have searched this oneside out!! Her own father, Ira Henning, died in 1877 - I have all her siblings and step siblings across the board from 1841 thru to 1901. Sarah's mother, was also called sarah, married John Fall in 1879 and I have the family in 1881 but no trace of Sarah (born 1865) anywhere. I have the birth cert of her son Willie in ringwood in 1886 and she is shown as Sarah (Kate) Henning, father not named. Willie is with John Fall and Sarah in 1891 and again in 1901 so clearly Sarah's mother and stepfather took the illegitimate child into their family - but what happened to sarah, Willie's mother - this is my quest! I have attempted to track through all recorded marriages of Sarah/Kate Henning after 1886 bit again, nothing has really come to light! Any ideas???????? :( :( :)
Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 December 05 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Either she died in childbirth - who registered the birth? - or she got married!

There is a Sarah BROWNING in Kingsburys lane, Ringwood in 1891 married to Samuel aged 48 (his daughter aged 20 is in the house too).  This Sarah was born Verwood and is aged 27.  RG12/908/24/33.

If the child Willie was not his, he might not have accepted him, hence he was at his grandparents.

Just a thought - check freebmd to see who Samuel married?

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 December 05 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Had a quick look & it seems likely Samuel married Sarah NORTH.

Back to square one?  Quite a coincidence though!

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 December 05 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - she registered the birth herself - I have checked out the marriage registers inside out but have not looked at the deaths - a possibility! Her grandfather seems to have ended up in the workhouse in Christchurch by 1881 so it all looks a bit grim!
Her illegitimate son Willie went on to be my husband's grandfather and lived till 1953- my husband remembers him well and he was a loveable rogue!
Thanks for your continued help!
Caroline