Author Topic: Richard Burns  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Kate NZ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Richard Burns
« on: Thursday 22 December 05 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi i have just found out my 3xgrandfather was born in Ireland Richard Burns born about 1832 father may have been John Burns can any one help Thanks Harriet :(
Borders Ettrick Brydon/Bryden Smeal Tait
East Lothian King Pryde Skirvin<br />Lauder Berwick   Murdison Watson<br />Midlothian  Smail Hamilton <br />Glasgow Bryan<br />Clackmannan Todd Ramsay <br />Shetland Isles Nelson Hubbys side<br />East Sussex Fellows Hutchinson Branscombe<br />London Bowers <br />Devon Branscombe <br />Devon French Bird Dommett Hubbys side<br />Ireland Fitzgerald Bryan Burns.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Burns
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 December 05 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Seasons Greetings Harriet,

I wonder why you posted your message on the Co. Antrim board. Your message merely says born in Ireland . Do you have a gut feeling about Co. Antrim? There were many heads of household with the surname Burns in Ireland between 1848-64 at the time of Griffiths Valuation. http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php

Directory of Belfast and the Province of Ulster 1852
Belfast
John Burns, carpenter, 77, Vere Street,
John Burns, ropemaker, Ballymacarrett
John Burns, coachman, 6, Sarah Street
John Burns, car owner, 16, Charlemont Street
John Burns, tide waiter, Peter's Hill
John Burns, shoemaker, 19, Torrens' Market

Harriet, have you traced back this far and hit a brick wall? Are there any given names resembling surnames? These might possibly give a lead to Richard's mother. The branch of the Christian faith followed by the Burns family might narrow the field slightly. Have you looked at other genealogy sites to see if anyone else is looking for families named Burns with the same Christian names as your family.

Best Wishes, Christopher

Offline Kate NZ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 December 05 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi merry Xmas and thanks for the prompt reply,I really dont know where in Ireland he was born i had looked on the IGI and found a number of Burns in Antrim so didnt know where else to post it.About 20yrs ago a relative tried looking for him but she always thought he was born in Peebles Scotland which is what it states on his death cert in NZ. Richard Wife and 3 children came to NZ in 1857 his wife died tragically in 1872 aged 36yrs by then they had 8children and the young ones went into orphanages and the family split after that.So info on his death cert would only be as good as info given.it was on death cert that it stated his father as John Burns.I only received the info he was probably born in Ireland this morning although i have heard it was probable,i dont know where to look for irish ancestors as most of my research has been in Scotland and England  once again thanks Harriet :o
East Lothian King Pryde Skirvin<br />Lauder Berwick   Murdison Watson<br />Midlothian  Smail Hamilton <br />Glasgow Bryan<br />Clackmannan Todd Ramsay <br />Shetland Isles Nelson Hubbys side<br />East Sussex Fellows Hutchinson Branscombe<br />London Bowers <br />Devon Branscombe <br />Devon French Bird Dommett Hubbys side<br />Ireland Fitzgerald Bryan Burns.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 December 05 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Harriet,

Here are a few more families named Burns from Co. Antrim
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/derek.hawthorne/Antrim5109.html
Z2 BALLYKEEL TOWNLAND Mary Burns
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/derek.hawthorne/Antrim5108.html
Z8 BALLYMULLOCK TOWNLAND
ALEXANDER BURNS /HEAD/M/45//PLOUGHMAN/ANT/
Z8 BALLYMULLOCK TOWNLAND
ELIZABETH BURNS /WIFE/M//48/NONE/ANT
JAMES BURNS /SON/U/9//AT SCHOOL/ANT
THOMAS BURNS /SON/U/8//NONE/ANT
http://www.larne.irishgenealogy.net/census1b.htm
WILLIAM BURNS, 14 ,Servant,Unmarried ,,NONE ,Antrim ,R/W
www.dankat.com/earls/chap3.htm
1966, Stewart Burns (son of James Burns) farmed at Gortmessan

Best Wishes, Christopher

Offline Kate NZ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 December 05 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Christopher for your help Harriet ::)