Author Topic: Rooney's Beware - I'm After You  (Read 5755 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Rooney's Beware - I'm After You
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 January 06 23:17 GMT (UK) »
It may only be coincidence and you don't say in your post what Letitia named her daughter, but Ulster Historical Foundation, who cover records for County Antrim and County Down happen to have two births on record for a Letitia Rooney. The first born County Down in 1850, the second born County Antrim in 1879. It is a longshot I know, but the £6.00 total charge to view both these records may be worth taking a chance on. Have a look at http://www.ancestryireland.co.uk/quis.php?generic=Generic&page=1&prevStartQuery=0&surname=rooney&firstname=letitia&template=births&title=Birth. They have no other Letitia births recorded but have a few mariages

If this is indeed your Letitia/s, you may also be interested to know that a James Rooney is recorded as marrying in 1853 as is a Margaret Taylor, albeit you would need to pay a further £6 to look at one of these records to see if it was to each other (that is the annoying thing about the UHF site, the free search gives extremely limited info). Remember, the James and Margaret who married that year could have been entirely different people and have completely different spouses.

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 January 06 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Oops, just ruled out the 1879 birth, it turns up on IGI as daughter of an Edward Rooney and Catherine Branagan.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline Half Pint

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my wonderful mum and dad here in Leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have had no luck with the 1850 Letitia birth either, she was the daughter of Patrick and Leticia Rooney.

Ah well back to the drawing board and route map.

Again many many thanks for this, it might not have been the right one but I became aware of another website that will probably help me again in the future and I met someone who was very helpful.

Take care

Half Pint
Beds: Chapman, Norris, Nicholls
Cul:  Bone, Casson, Cuppage, Ellwood, Harrington, Harrison, Huddleston, Mawson, McAvoy, Rooney, Sherwen, Singleton, Stephenson, Taylor, Tunstall, Tyson, Wedgwood, Whitehead, Woodall
Herts:  Chapman, Merridan, Seymour
Ire:  Macken, McAvoy, Rooney
Lancs:  Casson, Dixon, Huddleston, Hunter, Muschamp, Skirrow Stephenson, Tyson
Staffs:  Burslem, Tunstall, Wedgwood
Yorks:  Harrison, Lund, Roberts, Swire

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 09:22 GMT (UK) »
That's a pity. But, it really was worth trying and who knows, maybe you will find a need to use the UHF site another time and have better success. Like you, I have had some misses on the UHF site but, thankfully, I have also had some very helpful hits (just a pity their pricing structure doesn't allow for transfer of unused credit between searches - it is so frustrating when your full £6.00 is used up on only one look up, when it could be used for five).

What about the marriage date that turned up on IGI. Do you think that is likely? For counties in the North of Ireland, you could have an Index search done for that year to see if any marriage took place between two people with those names. It costs £1.00 from http://www.familyulster.com/family_ulster_records_BMD_requests.htm - after choosing type (ie Marriage) and year, remember to put both surnames in the message box at payment stage and you could mention the possible date. If something hopeful turns up, I usually find it enough to then pay for the £3.50  certificate details option if you are not too bothered about having the full copy certificate.

Offline MikeW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Just a comment re 'Rooneys'(Half Pint) : the general trend seems to be that there is a Northern Ireland connection here.... but  in fact the name Rooney is not  UNcommon anywhere in Ireland. Perhaps a quick skim through the IGI for other counties might turn up something useful.   Some years ago I met a chap called  Rooney in Liverpool,  IN the Mormon library, looking for  his Irish connections...something to do with Drogheda, Co. Louth. Hope you find something positive.
                                    Mike.