Author Topic: "Medic" sailed from UK to Australia 1913  (Read 2933 times)

Offline Michelle72

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
"Medic" sailed from UK to Australia 1913
« on: Monday 26 December 05 01:23 GMT (UK) »
I have found 3 of my relatives that left the UK for Australia in 1913 on the Unassisted Immigration to Victoria.  Index of Inward Passenger Lists for British, Foreign and New Zealand Ports 1852-1923 - they are:

Family Name First Name Age Month Year Ship Port Fiche Page
CROSS CLARA 5 JUN 1913 MEDIC B 874 004
CROSS GEORGE 2 JUN 1913 MEDIC B 874 004
CROSS MARIA 30 JUN 1913 MEDIC B 874 004

One problem - the father is missing, his name was Richard CROSS, b. 1877.  I wonder if he went on ahead to find somewhere to settle? Or is he just not listed on this website for some reason but was actually on the ship with them?

Even though they are on the Victorian Passenger List, they actually ended up living in Hamilton, Newcastle, NSW.

Does anyone else have rellies that were on the same ship?  Did you find out any information about it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Michelle

BRAMWELL - Ayr, Scotland
BUTCHER - Tingewick, Bucks, Eng
CROSS - Tingewick Bucks Eng - Wellington NZ - Hamilton NSW Aus, Illinois USA - Bucks Eng
DANDO - Cameley, Somerset
FRENCH - Nash, Bucks
HAMBLETON - Alstonfield, Staffs, Eng
HENSHAW - Rocester, Staffs, Eng
HURST - Bucks
JONES - Cwmavon, Glam, Wales
PARKER - Denstone, Staffs, Eng
READ - Stony Stratford, Bucks, Eng
RICHARDS - Mixbury, Oxon, Eng
RIDGWAY - Akeley, Bucks, Eng
WHITE - Steppingley, Beds, Eng
WILKINS - Cameley, Somerse

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: "Medic" sailed from UK to Australia 1913
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 December 05 02:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michelle,
Have you checked to see whether the father was perhaps an earlier Assisted Immigrant?  He may have come out first as you say, on a government scheme, and later with a bit of money in his pocket, he sent for the rest of the family.
Just a thought  :)

Prue

Offline Michelle72

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 December 05 08:50 GMT (UK) »
As my grandfather was born in 1911, Richard Cross must have left the UK that year or afterwards.  I cannot find any assisted passenger records for this timeframe but family folklore states that Richard Cross's father gave him 100 pounds which in those days was a lot of money and off he went and travelled the world!!  Richard's wife, Maria died in 1915 in Hamilton NSW and is buried at Sandgate Cemetry, NSW.  After her death, Richard Cross decided Australia wasn't for them and took his two children Clara and (Robert) George Cross to America where they stayed until after the war.  I wonder whether they returned to the UK first before departing to the US as I don't think there were ships that sailed directly to the US from Australia.  After the war, Richard and his two children departed America (Illinois) and returned to the UK.  Evidently, my grandfather was bullied when he returned to school in the UK for being a Yank!  Poor thing!  It must have been quite tough for the little kiddies but I remember saying to my Granddad many years ago that I wanted to go to Australia and his response was that he had been there.  When he said this, I thought he must have been senile and it wasn't until he died in 1999 and the discovery of an address book with addresses in from all over the world that I realised that he was telling the truth - how I regret not know more about him!  Now I too live in Australia, maybe following in my ancestors itchy feet footsteps!!  Who knows.

I would love to be able to find out more.

Michelle
BRAMWELL - Ayr, Scotland
BUTCHER - Tingewick, Bucks, Eng
CROSS - Tingewick Bucks Eng - Wellington NZ - Hamilton NSW Aus, Illinois USA - Bucks Eng
DANDO - Cameley, Somerset
FRENCH - Nash, Bucks
HAMBLETON - Alstonfield, Staffs, Eng
HENSHAW - Rocester, Staffs, Eng
HURST - Bucks
JONES - Cwmavon, Glam, Wales
PARKER - Denstone, Staffs, Eng
READ - Stony Stratford, Bucks, Eng
RICHARDS - Mixbury, Oxon, Eng
RIDGWAY - Akeley, Bucks, Eng
WHITE - Steppingley, Beds, Eng
WILKINS - Cameley, Somerse

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 December 05 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Michelle,
Wow, what a life your grandad had! 
I can't imagine that he just up and left his wife and tiny child/ren and waltzed off round to the other side of the world - it seems odd, so I wonder whether the transcription you found for the "Medic" is not complete, and Richard is actually on the ship as well?  You need to get hold of, or get someone to look for, the actual passenger list or an image of it.  I suppose it's in the PROV in Melbourne.
Prue  :)

P.S.  "Medic" seems a strange name for a ship!  ;D

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 December 05 08:28 GMT (UK) »
There is an R Cross who arrived in 1912

CROSS R 34 MAY 1912 SUEVIC B 848 008

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk