Author Topic: Family Tree Maker....any tips please...  (Read 5729 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family Tree Maker....any tips please...
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello all

I was using an older version of FTM and upgraded using a "free full version" on a magazine cover.  it changed the appearance of FTM - v pretty - and added a few useful things, like ways of displaying trees, which I was happy about.

The only catch was that it was a time-limited version (not clear at first).  After the trial expired I decided to upgrade, so I used the prompt on the trial version to access Ancestry's (for it is they) website.  I paid up for the basic version - all I need as I have no US rellies to trace.  So far, so perfectly fine.  After the transaction I was transferred to their "shop" where I was immediately offered the same product FTM 2005 for $10 less!

The moral of this story?  By all means upgrade - the basic FTM is brilliant for my needs - but shop around for the best price. (Apologies to those who have read this story before).

I am enjoying this thread, as everyone has different ways of working and it helps to see what you are all up to!

Has anyone found a way of refining the internet search facility, so that it actually displays what you want & not 10,000 records you don't want??  ;D

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

On the internet search I tend to use 3 star and up. I also use BMDs to cut out the US census data by playing with the filters on the top right and top left. The data is really mostly only useful for the 19th century.

Jane  :D
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jane

I will have a play with the filters  :D

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arranroots

I have just discovered if you go to top right where you can filter census, BMD etc at the bottom of the list is customise, you can select a specific database(s) to search out of 700+. This will filter out all the US data.

Jane  :D
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Not that we don't love the Americans - I am just not that closely related to them (apart from you, Annie!)

Thanks again Jane  ;)

Offline 1000xlch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 06 January 06 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the tips on this thread

Must try the filter thingy as I have 12,875 in the database and I only want to find a few matches as even on broadband it is time consuming and over 12,oo the net cannot handle!  I thought it was simple 7 years ago and 100 people.

Cheers

John Rowley
DUNN - Cambuslang, LKS
FORSYTH - Shotts, LKS
FRAME - Hamilton, LKS
HODGSON - Hamsterley, DUR
HUMPHREY - Easingwold, NRY
HUNT - Frimley, Surrey
MCKECHNIE - Argyll - Shotts
NETHERCLIFF(T)/ DRAYCOTT Sandhurst, BKS
PEPPERCORN - Lolworth, Cambs
PRATT - Thirsk, NYK