Author Topic: How to research Births in IOM  (Read 3361 times)

Offline Jeffrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information is Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
How to research Births in IOM
« on: Tuesday 27 December 05 22:33 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor born in the Isle of Man on 9th Mar 1877 in South Barrule Malice.
She was called Agnes Julia Armstrong. Her parents, William & Agnes, would only have been over there for a few months. How do I go about finding a Birth Certificate or a Parish Record for her.

Judy
CUMBERLAND  Armstrong Little Nixon Richardson Pearson Watson Braithwaite
WESTMORLAND  Richardson Dent Nicholson Hanson Kersey Smith Heigh
DURHAM Reed Smith Reay Hammond Metcalf Bell
Thompson Armstrong Branford Parkin Heaton Oates
NORTHUMB'LAND Nixon Johnson Armstrong Branford Thompson
DUMFRIES Armstrong Bell Halliday Little Carruthers Johnstone
YORKS Richardson Branford Siddle
ROXBURGH Jackson Elliot Armstrong Scott
FIFE Adamson Gosman Brown
AUSTRALIA Richardson Dent Hanson Kersey

Offline rcorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: How to research Births in IOM
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 January 06 05:27 GMT (UK) »
The two places to look first are:

www.familysearch.org (searching the IGI) which indexes all parish register records for the IOM.  I couldn't find any matching record there (closest match on IGI was an Agnes d/o William & Agnes b in Scotland in 1876).

www.lawsons.ca which is a site maintained by Brian Lawson who has transcribed many marvellous indexes and has them available for free.  I had a look at the registered births index but again couldn't find your Agnes.  I was a little unclear about what was actually covered in the index for the Malew area (not Malice) so you might want to contact Brian to clarify - he is a very helpful chap.

There is also the possibility that her birth was not registered on the island - compulsory registrations started in 1878 and if they were only there for a few months they may not have had her baptised there.  Perhaps they had her baptised when they got back to wherever it was they moved on to.  Or may have had her registered in England/Scotland/Ireland when they got back but whether that would be in the normal registers or some other 'overseas births' type of register I don't know.

Hope you have some good luck finding her.

Regards,
Ruth
Bouncing emails

England: Green, Povey, Bedford, Bridgland, Catlin, Patton
Scotland: Fraser, Kennedy, Kelly, Hean, Higgins
Isle of Man: Corris, Faragher, Corkill, Shimmin