Author Topic: HABBERLEY, Cheshire, Lancashire & Midlands, 19th C  (Read 2692 times)

Offline The Engineer

• RootsChat Member
  • That's me - 1963......
    • View Profile
HABBERLEY, Cheshire, Lancashire & Midlands, 19th C
« on: Wednesday 28 December 05 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I have just found out that my true paternal grandfather (therefore my true male line) is from the HABBERLEY family.  My great-grandfather was Edward HABBERLEY born in 1861 in Wincham, Cheshire.  Several of his siblings migrated to Lancashire.  His parent (my 2nd great-grandparents) were John HABBERLEY, born 1821 in Wolstanton or Golden Hill, Staffordshire and Elizabeth MILLS born in 1820 in Leek, Staffordshire.  They married at Leek in 1841.

I am looking for other possible HABBERLEY descendants or anyone who may be able to offer information on the paranets and siblings of John HABBERLEY b.1821.  It would be wonderful both to find new cousins and earlier ancestors!!

Best Wishes to all,
Garry Brookes
Cheshire - Breatherd, Habberley, Haddock, Hancock, Hunt, Johnson, Perry, Porter, Rathbone, Senior, Thomason, Warburton, Wilkinson, Wilson, Williams

Lancashire - Forsyth, Haddock, Hanlon

Shropshire & Montgomeryshire - Bore, Davies, Foulkes, Gittins, Habberley, Jones, Lewis, Meyrick, Peel, Reynolds

Staffordshire - Habberley, Mills, Billings, Breeze

Offline Zelley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: HABBERLEY, Cheshire, Lancashire & Midlands, 19th C
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 January 06 20:41 GMT (UK) »
How about HABBERLEY in Essex including
Southend-On-Sea at the "Talza Arcade" in the 1950's
Zelley,  Lovell, Godbold, Woods, Phillips, Lewis, Emery,
Magee, Baker, White. Flisher, Kyne, Tilston, Valence/Vallens,
Mabb/Mabbe, Bellamy, Selley, Martha Smith, Arno (of Dartmouth, Devon}.
Dorset, London, Warwick, East Anglia, Kent,  Devon
North Wales          

The ancestors lived here and there, in many scattered
places, with various occupations

Offline The Engineer

• RootsChat Member
  • That's me - 1963......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 January 06 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Yes,  I'd be pleased to know more!

But I now have a POSSIBLE father for John HABBERLEY.  A Thomas HABBERLEY born abt 1796 in Dudley, Staffordshire (now West Midlands).  Thomas seems to have lived in Goldenhill most of his married life (with two wives!) and so is a "prime suspect" as father to John.  I am purchasing the birth certificate for John HABBERLEY to see if it's the case or not.

Cheers,
Garry
Cheshire - Breatherd, Habberley, Haddock, Hancock, Hunt, Johnson, Perry, Porter, Rathbone, Senior, Thomason, Warburton, Wilkinson, Wilson, Williams

Shropshire & Montgomeryshire - Bore, Davies, Foulkes, Gittins, Habberley, Jones, Lewis, Meyrick, Peel, Reynolds

Offline Zelley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Thomas HABBERLEY
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 January 06 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Yes,  I'd be pleased to know more!

But I now have a POSSIBLE father for John HABBERLEY.  A Thomas HABBERLEY born abt 1796 in Dudley, Staffordshire (now West Midlands).  Thomas seems to have lived in Goldenhill most of his married life (with two wives!) and so is a "prime suspect" as father to John.  I am purchasing the birth certificate for John HABBERLEY to see if it's the case or not.
Cheers,
Garry

I have a Thomas HABBERLEY married twice.  THe second marriage
was to Rebecca (KYNE) WOODS.

Is your John or Thomas HABBERLEY of Irish Catholic Heritage?
Zelley,  Lovell, Godbold, Woods, Phillips, Lewis, Emery,
Magee, Baker, White. Flisher, Kyne, Tilston, Valence/Vallens,
Mabb/Mabbe, Bellamy, Selley, Martha Smith, Arno (of Dartmouth, Devon}.
Dorset, London, Warwick, East Anglia, Kent,  Devon
North Wales          

The ancestors lived here and there, in many scattered
places, with various occupations

Offline The Engineer

• RootsChat Member
  • That's me - 1963......
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 January 06 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

the Thomas I referred to was married to Mary (surname not known) about 1818, place unknown.  His second marriage was to Ann SHERWIN  in June 1845 at Wolstanton.

Offline The Engineer

• RootsChat Member
  • That's me - 1963......
    • View Profile
HABBERLEY - an UPDATE!!
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 July 06 21:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who contacted me through this forum and other means.  I now have got my tree back to my 5th great-grandparents, John HABBERLY and Eleanor PERRY married 2nd November 1765 at Wellington, Shropshire.  They lived and raised their family at Dawley Magna nearby, many descendants working as Blacksmiths or coal miners in the Madeley & Coalbrookdale area.

I am still very interested indeed in anyone whose HABBERLEY/HABBERLY/ABBERLEY/ABBERLY relatives may have come from this area of Shropshire, or Staffordshire, as we may be related.  My 3rd great-grandfather was Thomas HABBERLEY (1796), who moved to Goldenhill (Potteries, Staffordshire) from Madeley and was blacksmith there.  I only have one child for him, there must be others and would especially like to trace other descendants of this Thomas.  Amazingly, a gravestone still exists for Thomas and both his wives there at the Parish Church of St John the Evangelist:

Many, thanks again,
Garry Brookes (really a HABBERLEY!!)