Author Topic: Reconveyance - Complete  (Read 767 times)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Reconveyance - Complete
« on: Wednesday 28 December 05 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi all and hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

In the post this morning arrived a "Reconveyance of premises" dated 1892, which is an A3 sheet of legal jargon connected with it appears to me a mortgage between two people who are part of my family and somebody else, a third person who has died is also mentioned as is his will. 

I have typed up this document and wonder if anybody knows enough to make sense of it and to give me the gist of what it says in plain English.  I don't mean word for word, just who is buying what from whom and what it means that some of the properties appear to have been demolished.

I thought I'd ask the question first to see whether anybody feels confident enough to give it a go and then I can copy the text here if there is a good response or if anybody has any interest in the sort of wording which might have been used on a mortgage agreement over 100 years ago.

I live in hopes with fingers crossed.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Reconveyance - legal document
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 December 05 22:23 GMT (UK) »
I'll give it a go.  PM me.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 December 05 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary
Well I've read it numerous times and also had a word with an old collegue who still works for a solicitor.  It had us both a bit foxed as the wording is hard to fathom.

Anyway what we both agreed was the following

The Indenture being way of a mortgage made the 25th June 1875 between Alfred William Linsell (the Borrower) and Charles Lenton (the Lender) is the original mortgage whereby Charles Lenton lent the said Alfred William Linsell the sum of Two thousand five hundred pounds using the land and premises in George Street Luton as security.

Charles Lenton made a will making Martha Lenton and William Larkins his Executors.  On his death, all the two thousand five hundred pounds plus interest was repaid to Charles Lenton's estate, thereby releasing the said land back to Alfred William Lindsell by way of a re-conveyance dated 16th August 1892 between the Executors Martha Lenton and William Larkins and Alfred William Linsell.

Hope this makes sense

Su
Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 December 05 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Su,  it does make sense, and is nice to think that it was my ancestors who had a bob or two for a change, we usually think of them as being the ones needing the money don't we?

Happy New Year to you
Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)