Author Topic: John Milton Brown - Missionary  (Read 4474 times)

Offline wwykes24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Never say Never
    • View Profile
John Milton Brown - Missionary
« on: Wednesday 28 December 05 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for any information on John Milton Brown. He was born in Porlock, Somerset circa 1844.  His parents were William Brown (born in Porlock c.1810) and Ann Milton (possibly born in Dunster c.1810).  I have been informed that there is a newspaper clipping about John framed and hanging in the Methodist Church in Porlock. 

Regards
Wendy
Atkinson, Bailess, Bills, Brecknell, Goadby, Hill, Horspool, Johnson, Jones, Riggs, Sanders, Smith, Tizzard

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Milton Brown - Missionary
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 December 05 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Here is the 1851 census

William Brown, age 38,mason born Porlock
Ann Brown age 40, born Dunster
William Brown age 15,mason born Porlock
Mary Brown age 13 born Porlock
Thomas Brown age 10, scholar born Porlock
John Brown, age7,scholar born Porlock
George Brown, age 5, scholar born Porlock
Amos Brown, age 2 born Porlock
Sarah A Brown age 3months, born Porlock

Porlock Town, Somerset
HO107/1920
folio 25 pages 21 and 22

I will look at later census and see if I can trace him

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 December 05 21:18 GMT (UK) »
1861 census

John is at the Weslayan Day School in Dunster

John Brown, age 17,boarder, pupil teacher born Porlock

RG9/1602
folio 19 page 10

I cant seem to find him after 1861

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline wwykes24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Never say Never
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 December 05 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Nicky,  the information provided has been helpful.  I have lost him also - I don't know if he has emigrated or is possibly travelling abroad.

Regards
Wendy
Atkinson, Bailess, Bills, Brecknell, Goadby, Hill, Horspool, Johnson, Jones, Riggs, Sanders, Smith, Tizzard

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 December 05 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Maybe he did, I found his parents but no sign of him, if you want the info on his parents just let me know

Nicky

Offline wwykes24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Never say Never
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 December 05 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicky,  yes please I would like the info on John's parents.

Many thanks

Wendy  :)

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 December 05 21:02 GMT (UK) »
1861 census

William Brown, age 48, mason born Porlock
Ann age 49 born Dunster
Mary Brown, age 23, house serv born Porlock
Amos Brown, age 12, scholar born Porlock
Sarah A Brown, age 10, scholar born Porlock
Elizabeth A Brown age 6, scholar born Porlock

RG9 1601
folio 87 page 21
address is just given as Porlock

I will look up later census and post for you

Nicky

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 December 05 21:34 GMT (UK) »
1871 census

William Brown, age 59, mason born Porlock
Ann Brown, age 61 born Dunster
Amos Brown, age 22,mason born Porlock

Cottage, Porlock
RG10 2349
folio 20 page 8

1881 census

William Brown, age 68, stone mason and Weslayan Local Preacher born Porlock
Ann Brown, age 69 born Dunster

Doverhay, Luccombe, Somerset
RG11 2353
folio 70 page 11

1891 census, wife is down as Clara not Ann but I think it is one and the same.

William Brown, age 78, mason retired born Porlock
Clara Brown, age 79 born Dunster

Doverhay, Luccombe
RG12/1863
folio 64 page 10

and the 1901 census

William Brown, age 88, widower, retired builder born Porlock
Flora Ashford, grandaughter, age 27 housekeeper, born Yorkshire Doncaster

Doverhay, Luccombe
RG13 2261
folio 35 page 6

Next door is a Thomas Brown, age 25 and his sister 40 both born Luccombe, not too sure if they are related or not.

Hope this helps.

If you like I can try and track the children too.

Nicky

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 December 05 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Think you might like this ....

The Times, Thursday July 2 1903, page 11
Ecclesiastical Intelligence
"...Owing to the heavy demands of the Wesleyan conference, it is arranged that the Rev. John Milton Brown, an Indian Missionary, shall take the Rev. Marshall Hartley's duties at the Wesleyan Mission-house during the year..."

The Times, Friday July 29, 1904, page 5
The Wesleyan Conference
"...The Rev. Frederick W. MacDonald having announced his intention to retuire from the Mission-house at the conference of 1905, a ballot was taken, and the Rev. John Milton Brown was designated to succeed him as foreign missionary secretary..."

The Times, Saturday December 10 1904, page 12
"...The Rev. J. Milton Brown and Major Hincksman have left this week on a visit of inspection of the Wesleyan mission stations in the West Indies. They are to report to the London committee, on their return, as to the financial condition of the missions there..."

The Times, Tuesday August 27 1912, page 7
Wesleyan Ministerial Changes
"...In the departmental offices, the Rev. Dr. Henry Haigh of Newcastle-on-Tyne, ex-president of the Conference, succeeds the Rev. J. Milton Brown as secretary of the Wesleyan Missionary Society..."

The Times, Thursday December 13 1934, page 1
Deaths
"BROWN - On Dec.11 1934 at 56, Athenaeum Road, Whetstone, N.20 after a few days illness, the Rev. J. Milton Brown in his 92nd year. Service at Methodist Church, Station Road, New Barnet, to-morrow (Friday) at 2 p.m.  Interment, Islington Cemetery, 3 p.m."

The Times, Thursday December 13 1934, page 21
Obituaries
The Rev. J. Milton Brown
"The veteran Methodist missionary, the Rev. J. Milton Brown died at East Barnet on Tuesday, at the age of 91.
    "He was a member of an old Methodist family in Somerset, and was born at Porlock on June 26, 1843. After being three years at Richman College he went out to North Ceylon in 1866. Besides being principal of the Mission School and on the Trincomalce Circuit, he was also Army and Navy Chaplain.  After 17 years in Ceylon he went to Calcutta to take charge of the Bengal District of the Wesleyan Methodist Missionary Society in 1883, and reorganised the work there. For part of the time practically all the society's work was under his supervision. Mr Brown was also for years honorary secretary of the Bible Society, secretary of the Christian Literature Society, and first president of the Sunday School Union in India.
   "He retired in 1901, and for two years was chaplain to the London Garrison.  In 1903 he was appointed one of the secretaries of the Wesleyan Missionary Society, and though he retired from this post in 1912, he remained an active member of the General Committee and of several sub-committees.  Soon after his retirement in 1912 he went to live at Upminster, and fostered the growth of a small Methodist church there.  During the early years of the War, owing to the lighting restrictions, he had a serious fall, and almost lost his life through loss of blood.  But his sound constitution saved him.  In 1917 he moved to East Barnet, where there was a small and struggling church.  He became minister, and developed the work of the church and Sunday school, for which new buildings have since been erected.  His wife, who died in 1925, was a daughter of the Rev. John Kilner, a leading figure in Methodist missionary history.  They gave two sons to the missionary cause. One of them, the Rev. H. Milton Brown, died in the Transvaal in 1916. The other, the Rev. A. E. Brown, C.I.E., who is principal of the Bankura College, Bengal.
   "The funeral service will be at New Barnet Methodist Church to-morrow, at 2 p.m. and the interment at Islington Cemetery at 3 o'clock."
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast