Author Topic: 1856 BIRTH south shields  (Read 3177 times)

Offline janmoore

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
1856 BIRTH south shields
« on: Thursday 29 December 05 10:03 GMT (UK) »
HI

I wonder if anyone can solve a puzzle for me? I have my great great grandparents and their family through a second cousin and also through my own research which is why I am now confused!

Reasonably enough, Thomas Bell SMALL, born 1856, appears in my cousin's notes in the family of Francis Bell SMALL and wife Margaret. However I now cannot find him with the family on any census. All their children were baptised (and buried as often as not) at St Hilda's.

Could some kind soul please check when they can to see if Thomas does belong to Francis and Margaret?

If he does, I need to discover why he wasn't with the family; I strongly suspect he belongs to someone else.

By the way, in the 1861 Francis is enumerated as Frances, and in the 1871, SMALL is transcribed as SMARR! I spent ages yesterday seeking them!!!

TIA

Jan
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Durham: Small, Jackson, Mackings, Hedley, Bell
Leicestershire: Moore, Burrows, Upton, Flamson
London: Lock, Seton, Goldacre, Ervin
Yorkshire: Normandale, Machin/Mackin/Mackings

Offline Helen K

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1856 BIRTH south shields
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 December 05 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan

I wonder if your cousin has the birth Certificate to confirm the parents of Thomas Bell SMALL ?

Or a marriage Certificate to confirm the father's name ?

I'm sure you've seen the Thomas Bell SMALL 25 in Gateshead in 1881, a Cabinet Maker, born South Shields ?

And the same Thomas is also in Gateshead in 1871, a Cabinet Maker, but born in North Shields.  Parents are Thomas B and Margt Jane SMALL.

In 1861 this family was in Westgate - Thomas B jnr born in South Shields.

Like you, I can't find anything to connect Thomas B to Frances and Margaret, sorry.

Regards

Helen K

Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright of the National Archives

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 December 05 20:24 GMT (UK) »
In 1851 Francis and Margaret already have with them Jane 15, Fran.5 and Nicholas 2.  This is from the NDFHS index - I have not looked at the image. HO107/2400 F257
There is also a family of Thomas 53, Mary 52, Sar E 23, Isa 21, Thom 19    HO107/2399 F126
This Thomas would be 24ish in 1856 so old enough to be married and having a child.  Helen is right and you need certificates to confirm your suspicions.
Andrea

Offline janmoore

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 December 05 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Helen and Andrea for your help. I guess I was hoping someone had a magic wand... I always thought SMALL was such an unusual name, and to find a whole family then carried the name BELL forward as well...in my naivety last year I thought I was home and dry...until I realised there were at least two other families who also had BELL as a middle name, and with no connection as far as I can see....Ah well...

The trouble is, I got a present with 30 days free trial with ancestry for Christmas and so I'm trying to fill in some of the holes in the family tree! But  it's so addictive - and of course I want more now I've got something, if you understand what I mean...I can't wait for FreeReg to come online so's I can get stuck into the parish registers!!!

Thanks again, ladies!

Jan
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Durham: Small, Jackson, Mackings, Hedley, Bell
Leicestershire: Moore, Burrows, Upton, Flamson
London: Lock, Seton, Goldacre, Ervin
Yorkshire: Normandale, Machin/Mackin/Mackings