Author Topic: A Marital Mystery!  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
A Marital Mystery!
« on: Thursday 29 December 05 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi ...

I wondered if anyone might be able to help me with the following "brickwall", or suggest where to look next.

My ancestor, Jonah/Jonas CAMBDEN married Hannah BARFOOT at North Leigh in 1701.  They had six children between 1703 and 1713.

Hannah is indicated as a widow on the marriage entry.  Despite many BAR(E)FOOT(E) entries on the North Leigh PRs, there is no record of a male of that name marrying a Hannah (nor any record on the entire Oxfordshire Marriage Index!).

There is, however, a burial entry for a Robert BARFOOT in 1700, with an Elizabeth BARFOOT (d. Robert) being baptised in 1698, and I wonder if he could have been Hannah's first husband?

Going by the birth years of her children, I would think that Hannah was probably born in the 1660s/1670s.  Unfortunately, there is a gap in the North Leigh PRs covering this period, but it doesn't explain why there is no record of the marriage (presumably late 1600s).

Just to add further confusion, I've found a submitted entry on the IGI (which I know should be taken with an extremely large pinch of salt!) which has Jonah CAMBDEN marrying a Hannah HARRIS (same date/place as the CAMBDEN/BARFOOT marriage).  Again, I can find no record of this marriage in the North Leigh PRS or the OMI.

Any help/suggestions on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.