Author Topic: 1851 census Barony, Lanark, Scotland look up please  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Philip

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
1851 census Barony, Lanark, Scotland look up please
« on: Thursday 29 December 05 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Very Very long shot!!!!!!!!! Charles McCalpin/ Mcalpine born 1797 Ireland Married to Margaret born Scotland abt 1816, I have searched most of the Irish records for there Marriage to no avail, On the  IGI family search web site we Have Charles Mcalpine married to Margaret Clark 10th December 1848 Barony, Lanark, Scotland, We know Charles Married late in life and had his last child at 61 years of age, Question did Charles McCalpin/ Mcalpine leave Ireland for a short while to go to Barony and meet Margaret Clark and marry her? then return to Ireland later on? I have children born In Ireland Esther 1851, Samuel, 1853, Mary, 1855, Hannah, 1857, Margaret 1861. The Family then moved on to Stockport Cheshire, JUST  HOPING WE CAN SEE THE 1851  CENSUS RECORD OR A MARRIAGE CERT?(BARONY) TO VERIFY THE FAMILY WHEREABOUTS.
Brinkley, Weld, Hutton,Craves, Lloyd, Brooke, Carleton, Alexander, King ,Vernon,Drought,Cox,(ALL DUBLIN)      ,Ford (Cork)  McCalpin,( Ulster) Armagh/Antrim.    Palmer, Catt, Boulter, Rust, Brinkley, Roberson, (All Suffolk). Laishley,( Hampshire), Biddlestone,Dudley, Cox (Staffs) McCalpin (Stockport, Ireland Scotland) Storer (Birmingham) Froggatt (Staffs)

Offline capricorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census Barony, Lanark, Scotland look up please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 December 05 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Philip,
            There's no Charles McAlpine/McCalpin in 1851 Glasgow index.
There's also some one on 'GenesReunited' researching a Charles and Margaret McAlpin, she also quotes the family being in Stockport Cheshire in the 1881 census, maybe a connection there for you.

Liz
Census information Crown Copyright, from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Philip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 December 05 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz
Thanks very much for the reply, Yes indeed the post on Genes site is mine also, But thanks again, I guess we will still endevour to search, When I retire next year (do not hold your breath) we are going to visit Ireland and Scotland to try and get more information, Good luck in your searches take care Philip & Janet Palmer.
Brinkley, Weld, Hutton,Craves, Lloyd, Brooke, Carleton, Alexander, King ,Vernon,Drought,Cox,(ALL DUBLIN)      ,Ford (Cork)  McCalpin,( Ulster) Armagh/Antrim.    Palmer, Catt, Boulter, Rust, Brinkley, Roberson, (All Suffolk). Laishley,( Hampshire), Biddlestone,Dudley, Cox (Staffs) McCalpin (Stockport, Ireland Scotland) Storer (Birmingham) Froggatt (Staffs)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 December 05 20:04 GMT (UK) »
I've also checked the 1851 index for Glasgow .... and while there is 1 Charles McAlpin and 3 Charles McAlpine's none of these match the age of your man ...... there are numerous Margaret McAlpin(e)'s but again none of them match up with a Charles.

Offline Philip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 December 05 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Falkyrn for looking up the 1851 Glasgow census, Good luck in your searches Philip

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 January 06 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have you checked the death certificate for Charles McAlpine to verify wife's last name etc. as well as parents names? You could then check it against the marriage, providing it lists parents.

I found on Freebmd at www.freebmd.org.uk

DEATHS - 1866
Surname   Forename    Age  Place of Death
McCalpin     Charles       69     Stockport

DEATHS - 1880
Surname   Forename    Age  Place of Death
McCalpin     Charles       0       Stockport

(There were several other McAlpine's/McCalpin's births, marriages and deaths.)

You can also try Cheshire BMD at http://cheshirebmd.org.uk/

You might also want to post on the "Cheshire" section of Rootschat to see what can be found for you.

As far as the Irish search, don't give up, as it took us several years just to find the marriage of gg-grandparents.

Good Luck!

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie