Author Topic: O'Riordan/Flynn County Cork  (Read 6050 times)

Offline Alex Walker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
O'Riordan/Flynn County Cork
« on: Thursday 29 December 05 20:59 GMT (UK) »
This is probably a needle/haystack job but I am at a dead end with my great-great-grandparents who came from Ireland.  He was Batholomew Flynn born c1845 and she was Ellen Flynn nee O'Riordan born c1851.  My enquiries lead me to believe that they came from Cork, Mallow or Youghal.  They came to the UK between 1879 and 1881, had five children when they came, John c1872, Catherine c 1875, Mary c1876, Annie (AKA Hannah) c1878 and Ellen c 1879.  They ended up in Ramsgate, Kent in service to a retired barrister Francis O'Grady Evans who was a landowner in Mallow at the time according to Griffiths.

Does this ring any bells with anyone or can anyone help with any direction for me to go in to find out more.

Any help gratefully received

Alex
Kent - Aldington, Bredhurst, Chatham, Gillingham, Hollingbourne, Lynsted, Newington, Rainham, Ramsgate, Smeeth, Snodland, Stockbury, Teynham, Upchurch<br />Surrey - Croydon<br />Sussex - Hellingly, Limspfield<br />Names - Chambers, Flynn, Giblett, Hart, Hodgman, Goldsmith, Lacy, Tucker, Hales, Callaway, Hubbard, Mudge, Wills, Barnden

Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: O'Riordan/Flynn County Cork
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 01:44 BST (UK) »
Do you know what Bartholomew's father was called? Or Any idea if he had any siblings?

Matt

Offline Alex Walker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 07:22 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about Bartholomew which is what is so frustrating.  Not being able to get to any Irish records makes it almost impossible to take Bartholomew and Ellen Riorden back any further.  If you have any ideas I'd be grateful!

Thanks

Alex
Kent - Aldington, Bredhurst, Chatham, Gillingham, Hollingbourne, Lynsted, Newington, Rainham, Ramsgate, Smeeth, Snodland, Stockbury, Teynham, Upchurch<br />Surrey - Croydon<br />Sussex - Hellingly, Limspfield<br />Names - Chambers, Flynn, Giblett, Hart, Hodgman, Goldsmith, Lacy, Tucker, Hales, Callaway, Hubbard, Mudge, Wills, Barnden

Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 14:02 BST (UK) »
I managed to find my Daniel Flynn on the 1851 census after some hard work. I knew he had died before 1858 which was when his daughter Catherine married John Donovan. I also knew that Catherine was born in c1840 in Ireland. I didn't find them in the 1841 census but I did find them in 1851 living at the following address No 9 Slater Court, St Mary's Whitechapel, lodging with Catherine McCarthy and her son Florence (both widowed). Those listed as members of Daniel's family were:

Daniel Flynn - aged 40 Head
Ellen Flynn - aged 36 Wife
Catherine Flynn - aged 12 daughter.

This make Catherine born 1839 which fits with her approximate date of birth (1840) established from her alledged age at marriage. So I next looked to try and find either Daniel's death between 1851 and 1858 or Ellen on the 1861 census to see if she was widowed.

I found her living at 49 Cartwright Square, St Boltoph without Aldgate and yes she was widowed. Living with her were two more sons, Francis (aged 23) and John (aged 20) as well as her brother law (another) Francis (aged 32). This means that Daniel (born 1811) had a younger brother named Francis who was born in 1829, a gap of 18 years so there could be more children between.

Have you tried looking on the census to find Barthomew in later dates? There are quite a lot of Flynns in the Griffith's Valuations of Ireland as well.

Matt

Offline Alex Walker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 14:57 BST (UK) »
I know that Bartholomew and Ellen were in Ireland in 1879 as 5th child was born in Ireland in 1879, the next one was born in Ramsgate in 1881 so deduction means they came over between those dates.  I have them on the 1881, 1891 and 1901 UK census but I can't go back any further than that in Ireland.

Without any idea as to how to investigate records in Ireland I am a bit stuck!  It would help to find passenger lists perhaps between Ireland and the UK near those dates but I don't know where to look.

Any ideas appreciated!

Alex

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 17:39 BST (UK) »
Sounds like you are facing some of the same problems I have.

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 September 06 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have you looked for the children's births in the indexes? As they were born post 1864, they should have been registered. These are available at the Dublin GRO (in person or Roscommon by post) or on film at your local family history centre. (Church of the latter day saints) http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp for your nearest.

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline Alex Walker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 September 06 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks Kate, I have the eldest 4 on the IGI and have now contacted the Mallow Heritage Centre and await to see whether anything comes back!

Perhaps I need a trip to Cork in the near future!

Cheers

Alex

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 September 06 20:55 BST (UK) »
REmember Mallow only covers the Diocese of Vloyne - half of Cork

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent