Author Topic: Look up Hampshire records in Middlesbrough  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Clare Noyce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Look up Hampshire records in Middlesbrough
« on: Friday 30 December 05 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Is there any kind soul out there that can help me.

I am trying to trace my husbands family. His Great great great grandfather Francis Noyce married Elizabeth Coffin in 1799, at Highbridge R C, Brambridge, Hampshire, England.

The records for this church are held in Middlesborough Reference Library. The church stopped being used in the early1800, and eventually what was left, was pulled down in the 1970S.

If some one could please find out any information on the couple I would be very grateful. I have found the baptism of  two sons William in 1805 and Thomas in 1808, but there is a marriage of a Frances Noyce in 1829, who I can not find a baptism for, and a witness at the wedding was a Ann Noyce, there is no trace of her.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thank you Clare

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Hampshire records in Middlesbrough
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 December 05 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clare
I think there must be a muddle here as I cannot see any reason why Hampshire records would be held at Middlesbrough Reference Library - they are at opposite ends of the country.   400 miles apart.   Is Brambridge near Southampton?   Can you quote your original source so that we can check it for you?
Andrea

Offline Clare Noyce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 December 05 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for your interest, Brambridge is just outside Winchester.

I know it sounds strange but Middlesbrough Reference Library holds quite a few records for Roman Catholic churches in Hampshire. I found the information on their web site. Here is a list of all Hampshire parish record, held there.

BRAMBRIDGE/ HIGHBRIDGE 1766-1869         
BROCKHAMPTON 1733-1817         
GOSPORT 1759-1832         
LYMINGTON, Pylewell House 1805-1840         
MILFORD-ON-SEA, Rook Cliff 1813-1815         
PORTSEA 1794-1847         
SOPLEY 1803-1866         
TICHBORNE 1785-1837         
WINCHESTER 1721-1826

The strange thing is that the Noyces are not Roman Catholic.

Thanks Clare

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 December 05 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi
What an odd thing.  The library is not enormous either.   Unfortunately I am not likely to be anywhere near it for some months.  It may be worth a phone call - they are very helpful.
Are you a member of the local family history group for Hampshire?   Very often they have done transcripts.   I find it very odd that I cannot find records for a church in Brambridge or Highbridge in either Genuki.com or in my ancient Phillimores atlas of Parish registers.   It must have been very small.
Good luck with the search.  I hope someone in Middlesbrough can help you.
Andrea