Author Topic: Another SMITH !!!  (Read 1995 times)

Offline pretlia

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Another SMITH !!!
« on: Thursday 29 December 05 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me find my Grandfather's details? His name was Anthony Smith and he lived in Howdon which is on North Tyneside, England. He was married to Rubina Meldrum and I've managed to find out quite a bit about her side of the family but with the Smith side I've reached a deadlock. Anthony and Rubina had eight children, one of which was my Father, Andrew Armstrong Smith. I don't know much more than that as I lost touch with my Father after my parents divorced and he died in 1987.

Thanks for any help.

Andrea
Banffshire, Scotland;  Baxter, Garrow, Ross, Cameron.   
Tyneside/Northumberland; Ayrshire, Scotland; Kennedy, Storey, Cook, Meldrum, Stafford, Smith, Armstrong.

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Another SMITH !!!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 December 05 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Andrea,

Have you any dates  for your father's birth, your grandfather's marriage or haw old your grandfather was when he got married?

Any of these might help someone find your grandfather.

happy hunting

Bee
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pretlia

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 December 05 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bee,

Just today I received a message about my Grandparents marriage date, but I don't know his birthdate or anything else about him.

Marriages Sep 1910 - Tynemouth  10b 414
SMITH  Anthony
MELDRAM  Robina J

That is what I have so far. Obviously there is some mix up on my Grandmother's maiden name spelling, as i have already found her family on a Census but to me it looked like it was spelt Meldrum! My father's birthdate was August 28 1916, Tynemouth.

Appreciate anything that can give me a clue to how to find my Grandfather's details. As I'm living in Canada I don't know how to go about getting birth or marriage certificate copies.

Andrea
Banffshire, Scotland;  Baxter, Garrow, Ross, Cameron.   
Tyneside/Northumberland; Ayrshire, Scotland; Kennedy, Storey, Cook, Meldrum, Stafford, Smith, Armstrong.

Paul E

« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 January 06 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi pretlia

To order a marriage certificate (which will hopefully give you your grandfather's birth year, at least, as well as his father's name), you need to go to the General Register Office website at http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificate/index.asp#0

Using the reference you've got, you should be able to order the certificate for your grandparents' marriage for £7 (I wouldn't bother with the so-called 'priority' service as the experience of others is that it doesn't add a lot to the process other than more ££££'s!)

cheers

Paul

Offline Ann G

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 September 06 10:58 BST (UK) »
Andrea,
Delighted to read of your search for your Smith/Meldram family in the UK.  Whilst I know of Anthony Smith,  his marriage to Robina Meldram and the names of their eight children, I do not at present have more information on Anthony.  However, I am related on the Meldram side and have contacts and information on the Meldram family both here in the UK and in Canada.

May I help you by acquiring the relevant certificates which should make your research easier?

Ann

Offline Katey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 January 07 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Andrea,
Anthony Smith was married to my husband's father' sister, Robina, known as Bina (pronounced as in liner). He was known as "Anty" by family and friends and to his many nieces and nephews was Uncle Anty. The family lived in Rutherford Street, as did one of Bina's sisters, Martha, who was married to James Porter. My husband's family lived in the adjacent Howdon Lane. My husband and his sister, who are both in their eighties, remember Anty as a quiet, reserved man who was well-liked. My husband was in the same class at school as Nora, daughter of Anty and Bina. Nora married James Bird. Anthony's descendants might also include the surname Fenwick, the married name of another daughter, Isobel. Although my husband and his sister have clear memories of Anty, neither can recall his occupation.
Good luck,
Katey