Author Topic: John and Jane Smith  (Read 778 times)

Offline icini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me
    • View Profile
John and Jane Smith
« on: Friday 30 December 05 22:36 GMT (UK) »
HI; I am reposting this message in  the hopes that someone new might be able to help me.
Seeking information on Christina Smith 1849-1903. Parents were John Smith( tailor) and Jane ?   Her last name looks like Morin, or Marr, or something like that on Christina's marriage cert, and Amour on Christina's death cert.    Christina was born in Edinburgh, but was living at 27 Milton Lane Glasgow when she married James Duncan.  Her mother ,  Jane, was deceased by the time of Christina's marriage to James Duncan Dec 31, 1867, in Glasgow.   This may or may not be correct because I discovered that James's mother was listed as dead when his sister married but she did not die till 20 years later!!
I realize the names John and Jane Smith are as common as mud ( no offense), but does anyone else have these people in their families?   Thank you..Donna
Lanarkshire: Dow, Dickson, Duncan, Buchanan,  Maclachlan, Wallace, Mitchel, Freckleton, Dollar, Whitten(on),Liverance, Murray, Gibson, Scoular, Telfer, Fisher,Slimman
Bo'ness: Henderson, Wallace, Foot(e)
Irvine: Petrie, Millar, Jaffrey, Allen,Boyd,
Edinburgh: Huldberg, Smith, Main, primrose
Roxburgh: Main, Smith, Sutherland
Wales: Islay, Wilkes, Morris, Ponter
England: Murray ( Windsor), Ponter ( Bath),
Ireland: Whitten, Irvine, Miller, McWilliams,Tremble,Greenaway, Stevenson,Wilson

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John and Jane Smith
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 December 05 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Donna

IGI have a marriage of John Smyth to Jane Rodgers in March 1845 in Edinburgh Praish

Could the surname be Rodgers?   I thought possibly Armour but there were no matches anywhere on IGI.
I would be very sceptical of the name on her death cert. I have found wrong entries even where it was the son or daughter who registered the death. If it was a son-in-law who registered  - then take with a v. large pinch of salt!

Rootschat has some expert handwriting analysts.  If you could post the appropriate bits of the certificate so that others can see it they will probably give you a definitive answer in 20 minutes as they have done for others.
If you are not sure how to upload the image there is excellent guidance elswhere on the site.

russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline icini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me
    • View Profile
Re: John and Jane Smith
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 December 05 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the advise. I will look up the instructions and post the entry.  Hopefully someone will decipher it.  Happy New Year..Donna
Lanarkshire: Dow, Dickson, Duncan, Buchanan,  Maclachlan, Wallace, Mitchel, Freckleton, Dollar, Whitten(on),Liverance, Murray, Gibson, Scoular, Telfer, Fisher,Slimman
Bo'ness: Henderson, Wallace, Foot(e)
Irvine: Petrie, Millar, Jaffrey, Allen,Boyd,
Edinburgh: Huldberg, Smith, Main, primrose
Roxburgh: Main, Smith, Sutherland
Wales: Islay, Wilkes, Morris, Ponter
England: Murray ( Windsor), Ponter ( Bath),
Ireland: Whitten, Irvine, Miller, McWilliams,Tremble,Greenaway, Stevenson,Wilson