Author Topic: voy - possible family link to orkney  (Read 5274 times)

Offline johnmcrae

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
voy - possible family link to orkney
« on: Saturday 31 December 05 01:50 GMT (UK) »
I am in the middle of trying to find old members of my family and I have come to a stop with a Mary Voy, which from the research done could be an Orkney based name.

I have searched the highland records in Inverness and the records on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk but have found nothing.

She was married to a Roderick McRae, and had one son that I know of. 

He was also called Roderick McRae and was born in Urray ABT 1798.  This Roderick died on 3/3/1883 in Dundee aged 85 and the writting is clear enough to be sure that I have the correct name in Mary Voy.

This would put Mary's birth probably before 1782.

The only link I have found is to a Margaret Matches and John Voy but this seems too early to be parents.

I don't know where her or her husband were born, or died and whether there were any other children.

Does anyone have any links to a Mary Voy that they could inform me about.

Thanks for your help
John
Aberdeenshire: Ross, Wright, McWilliams, Skene, Ritchie, Sim.
Angus:  Cochrane, Stewart, Baillie, Cochrane, Gavin(e), McMurchie, Murphy, Wright, Hutcheon, McRae, Findlay, McWilliams, Kerr, Ross, Kidd, Edward(s), Maver, Michie, Angus, Allan, Baxter.
Fife: Bett, Louden, Scot(t), Berrie, Watson, Whytt, Stewart, Clark, Beveridge, Butter
Perthshire: Doctor, Henderson, Macrae, Smith, Grimmond, Marr, Baillie, Shepherd, Burry.
Highland: McRae, Morison, Voy.
Lanark: Hawthorn, Malarky, Winchcole, Reid

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: voy - possible family link to orkney
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 December 06 19:43 GMT (UK) »
hi john, just a wee note to say that i found a mary voy (Voy, not a name you hear everyday here in scotland) living in perth on the 1841 census, i would say that they would most definately be decendant from your voy.

joe
helping wherever possible

Offline Spanish_Eyes

• RootsChat Senior
  • John - James William & Peter Elmer Sabiston
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 December 06 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Try here for your Voy family you may find it here as there are lots of names on this Orkney site.

(http://tilley.dynodns.net:8000/modules.php?name=OPR)

Good luck,  Spanish Eyes
Sabiston - Flett - Flette - Tourangeau - McDonald - Folster - Creelman - Linklater - Sorell - Cox - Kirkness - Harper - Bruce - Inkster - Patten - Fidler - Whyte...<br /><br />Orkey Islands, Scotland - British Columbia, Canada - Alberta, Canada - Saskatchewan, Canada - Manitoba, Canada - Ontario, Canada.

I Live In Aldergrove, BC, Canada (Outskirts Of Vancouver).

Offline Spanish_Eyes

• RootsChat Senior
  • John - James William & Peter Elmer Sabiston
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 December 06 07:34 GMT (UK) »
You could maybe try this Orkney site too...

(http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/index.html)

Spanish Eyes
Sabiston - Flett - Flette - Tourangeau - McDonald - Folster - Creelman - Linklater - Sorell - Cox - Kirkness - Harper - Bruce - Inkster - Patten - Fidler - Whyte...<br /><br />Orkey Islands, Scotland - British Columbia, Canada - Alberta, Canada - Saskatchewan, Canada - Manitoba, Canada - Ontario, Canada.

I Live In Aldergrove, BC, Canada (Outskirts Of Vancouver).