Author Topic: 1841/1851 Census lookup - Jeffrey family Twizel(l)  (Read 9151 times)

Offline lily4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841/1851 Census lookup - Jeffrey family Twizel(l)
« Reply #18 on: Friday 03 April 09 09:38 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate any help in finding Nicholas JEFFREY b.1792, Twizel, who maried Martha RAE b.1804, Twizel, and family in the 1841/51 censuses. I obtained the names of children from familysearch.com (the 1st two births are questionable) as follows:
Margaret b.1815 Durham
Isabella b.1815 Twizel
Alexander b.1821 Twizel
Martha b.1822 Durham
James b.1826 Durham
Elizabeth J. b.1828 Durham
Nicholas b.1828 Twizel
William b.1830 Twizel
Robert b.1833 Twizel

I'm interested especially in place(s) of residence and occupations. Thanking you in anticipation. Regards, Irene

Hi Irene, I am wondering what your relationship to Nicholas and Martha Jeffrey is as they are my 3xGreat Grandparents. I have been researching them for some time now.
Regards Sue

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 03 April 09 11:21 BST (UK) »

Forgive me for throwing in a couple of georgraphic snippets into this Chat.

I noticed those Jeffrey births/baptisms from "familysearch" showing places Twizel and Durham.

The quirk is that Durham was over 60 miles distant to the south. This area, including Twizel,  lay within the ancient parish of Norham, And although it lay within the bounds of the county of Northumberland, it belonged to the Bishops of Durham and was regarded as part of County Durham.

The "enclaves" of Norhamshire, Islandshire and Bedlingtonshire, were collectively referred to as "North Durham".

Folk born in these areas were recorded as Durham-born, not Northumberland-born. For the 1801-1841 census, these areas are enumerated as County Durham, not as part as Northumberland.

Conveniently these enclaves reverted to the county of Northumberland in 1844. And from1851, censuses were enumerated as Northumberland.

In Old English,  "twisla" was name for land that lay within a river fork. Twizel (once Twysill) lies in the junction where the River Till joins the River Tweed. (Haltwhistle in south-west Northumberland is similar example.

Michael Dixon

Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline ozchook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 06 April 09 03:06 BST (UK) »
Michael - Thank you for those enlightening snippets; I wasn't aware of such facts and have taken notes.

Sue - My husband is related to Robert b.1833
Robert Jeffrey married Emma Louisa Mansfield, daughter and 16th child of William Mansfield, a convict who ended up doing very well for himself at Granton, Tasmania.
Emma did well too, as her husband Robert was monied, and they lived in Eaglehawk, Victoria, Oz.
Their son James Mansfield Jeffrey  was my mother in law's father.
Good luck with your research.
Regards
Irene

Offline lily4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 06 April 09 12:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Irene, Robert was the brother of my great great grandfather James Jeffrey b.1826 he married Rachel Briggs ( whose family appear on the same census sheet  in 1841. James and Rachels daughter Martha married my great grandfather John Brown. They had three living sons one of whom Nicholas was my mothers father. Incidently his oldest brother James married Margaret Ann Jeffrey who was the grand daughter og Alexander Robert and James oldest brother.
I am going up to Northumberland in a couple of weeks to do some more research. Regards Sue

Offline ozchook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 01:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue, Do you know that there are Jeffrey graves in Norham, including Alex d. 1787, and Nicholas and Martha?
I am very grateful to Myra (Chatter) who traipsed over wet fields, dodging bulls, to get this information for me.
Regards, Irene

Offline lily4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 18:11 BST (UK) »
Yes, thanks I am going up to Northumberland to hopefully photo said graves and I have also looked at the graves on the website of Nicholas and Robert which are in Eaglehawk. My sister lives near Melbourne and she is going to take a trip out there to have a look in person. Thanks Sue

Offline ozchook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 17 April 09 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue, At my library I looked up Robert and Nicholas in the Eaglehawk and District Pioneer Indexes. There are many entries for them concerning properties they owned, (and they had many, especially Nicholas, who retired at 36 - a millionaire), committees they were on, court appearances, and mentioned  a Pioneer Photo at the Eaglehawk Town Hall. I don't know if it is still on show, but worth checking out during a visit.
Regards, Irene

Offline ozchook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 10:10 BST (UK) »
Sue, Further to my last post, there is a book at the Eaglehawk Town Hall entitled 'Eaglehawk Pioneers Illustrated' by Noelene WILD, with reference to- and photos of- our Jeffrey brothers.
Regards, Irene