Author Topic: 1841/1851 Census lookup - Jeffrey family Twizel(l)  (Read 9153 times)

Offline ozchook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1841/1851 Census lookup - Jeffrey family Twizel(l)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 January 06 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello AngelFish and Helen K, Thank you again for all you have done to help me compile this branch, and I am now beginning to piece together this very confusing jigsaw puzzle. To complete this topic, a little story for anyone interested. Nicholas Jeffrey b.1828 and his brother Robert b.1833 in Twizel both came to  Eaglehawk in the goldfields, Victoria, Australia and made their fortunes. Nicholas who was a builder invested well with gold mine shares and built a swish house he called 'Twizel', now called 'Mervalen' and Heritage listed. Brother Robert remained a builder and married Emma Louisa Mansfield, daughter of William, a convict. Her grandparents, Elizabeth Cole and James Tucker were 1st and 2nd Fleet convicts. In the words of my mother in law, 20 years ago, 'she was a lady of leisure - servants and all'. Sincere thanks, Irene

Offline Helen K

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 January 06 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Irene

A nice success story - and from fairly humble beginnings.

I often wonder how many of these emigrants who make their fortune use their wealth to visit their roots.

Do you know if Nicholas or Robert came back home for a visit ?

Regards

Helen K
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright of the National Archives

Offline emjay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 January 06 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Irene,

I know your head must be buzzing, and you will be busy sorting all the information, but you might like to look at http://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/Cornhill-on-Tweed.htm where Alexander Jeffrey and a later Nicholas Jeffrey are both mentioned in Directories.

Regards

Myra

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ozchook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 January 06 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen and Myra, Helen, we know almost nothing about Nicholas and Robert, apart from whom they married and (most of) their children, and where the Jeffreys are buried. My next move will be to contact Bendigo genie groups. Eaglehawk, where they lived,  is now a suburb of Bendigo. It's 100 miles from where I live in Melbourne, so a trip up there would be worthwhile. I don't know if the brothers returned to Northumberland, but I hope they shared their wealth with their family, especially their widowed mother.
Myra, I have just been on to that wonderful website, and had such fun. I saw not only the directory entries but a couple of Jeffrey entries in the school records, and I had a long look at the lovely old photographs. Thank you both again. Regards, Irene

Offline westaussies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 January 06 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Irene,
Our family are direct decendants of Nicholas Jeffrey, We have information given to the family by Aunt Martha,Nicholas Jeffrey's
sister to Nellie Bold , William Jeffrey's sister.
Nicholas Jeffrey came to Australia as a young man in the 1850's made his fortune and retired at the age of 36. He went for a trip to Scotland to see his mother and settled her comfortably for the rest of her life two nieces were left in charge and they were to get the house when she died. He then returned to
Eaglehawk Bendigo building shops and owning a good part of the main street, He was director on a number of mines New Moon & South New Moon and died in his 71st year about 1899 of pneumonia.

Offline ozchook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 January 06 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi westaussies and welcome to rootschat. Thank you for that very interesting piece of information about Nicholas. Would you please confirm that this information is relative to your Nicholas: Nicholas b.1828 married Isabel Raggett Rawle in Eaglehawk on 17 Oct 1865; died 12 June 1898 in Eaglehawk; their son Nicholas was born at Nerring in 1877?
We have another Nerring birth (not for the Jeffreys) and I am wondering if you know the significance of that town; it's near Beaufort between Ballarat and Ararat in Victoria. I am presuming it was a goldmining town. Do you know what Nicholas was doing there?
Thank you in anticipation; regards Irene.

Offline westaussies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 January 06 05:15 GMT (UK) »
HI Irene,
The information is exactly as we have it,the only difference is he died 12th July 1898 instead of June. We also have his son Nicholas as being born 15th Dec 1875 in Eaglehawk. His brother william rawle was born on the 6th of Sept 1877 he married Daisy Ethel Webb in Claremont Western Australia which is my father in laws parents. I do not have any information on Nerring.

Yolanda

Offline fairyfeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 10 March 06 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ozchook

I came across the Jeffrey family when looking for Russels in Twizel - may be related to me but haven't sorted that out.  However,  Lots of Jeffrey's can be found by going into the Genuki site, England, Northumberland, Towns & Parishes, Norham, Cemeteries - Mike Simpson's Norham St Cuthberts Monumental Inscriptions - lots of entries which will certainly keep you busy for awhile.

fairyfeet

Offline ozchook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 12 March 06 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi fairyfeet, What a great site. I had already received the inscriptions for my mob, but thank you very much for your interest. Regards, Irene