Author Topic: JACKSON, Emily - YKS > ONT, CAN  (Read 2534 times)

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
  • One of Many Family Lines
    • View Profile
JACKSON, Emily - YKS > ONT, CAN
« on: Monday 13 September 04 04:17 BST (UK) »
Emily Gertrude JACKSON was born March 27, 1894.  She told me she was 17 when she emigrated to Canada; 1911.    In June, 1911 she married Tom DAWE in Cobalt, Ont.   Tom and Emily were my Dad's parents; they were both from Yorkshire (she-Leeds, he-Skelton).

They came to Detroit, MI between 1917- 1919.  So far I haven't found her in any ship's registers.  Her sister, Elizabeth, may have come with her; I assume because of her age.  I have also been told that Tom returned to Yorkshire to get her. 

I would appreciate any assistance in unraveling the mystery about the date she / they arrived.  Hopefully, that will also tell me the ship and the port of embarkation (I think it's Liverpool for some reason).  I would also like to learn when Tom first emigrated to Canada.       Thanks, RedFox

CUMLD: Davidson, Robson, Atkinson, Blackburn,  Wilkinson, Mumberson, Milburn
CRNWL:  Dawe, Bawden, Leming
CHES: Heginbotham
YRK:  Dawe, Jackson, Ranson, Leming
LANC:  Dawe, Harris, Thomas, Bellamy or Billany, Bayliff, Madsen
EAST SSX:  Etchingham - Woolgar
SCT: RXB-Robson, REN & LNK-Lisle/Lyle/Leill, Taylor, Masson
WALES: Dawe
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle
IRE: Bell, Prestley/Priestley
GER: Wuerttemberg - Betz

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: JACKSON, Emily - YKS > ONT, CAN
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 October 05 00:27 BST (UK) »
A Thomas Dawe had come over in 1909...at the age of 31...
Ships list found here, if this is he:

http://members.shaw.ca/nanaimo.fhs/
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
  • 2x G-Gma Sarah Page Simpso born Chilham Kent 1836
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 October 05 00:36 BST (UK) »
RedFox,

To find a ships passenger list arriving in Canada in 1911 is quite a task. Unfortunately the records before 1925 are not indexed. To find a passenger you will need to know an exact date of
arrival.

The National Archives of Canada (NAC) holds immigration records from 1865 to 1935. 

Ships are on the reel, in order of arrival. You can find the details at this URL

http://www.archives.ca/02/020202_e.html

There is no easy way to search Canadian arrival records for this unindexed period other than reading microfilm

If you want to order filmed passenger lists (remember they aren't indexed!), a  list of NAC microfilm numbers for passenger lists to Canada 1865-1922 can be found at

http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/filmnos_can1865.shtml

However, you should be able to find the family's crossing from Canada to USA. In 1895 Canada and USA established a joint inspection system.

These CANADIAN BORDER CROSSING records were microfilmed by INS. They cover 1895-1954 and are indexed. They do not include Canadians before 1906.  After September 30, 1906 both Canadians and non-Canadians are included on these lists.

For more information on the St Albans (Canadian Border Crossing) Lists (including film numbers), see http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/stalbanslist.shtml

You might get lucky and find Emily and Tom in the 1911 census. It's online as images without an index by family name BUT the better news is that there are a few sites hard at work indexing it!

They are

http://allcensusrecords.com/canada/  Surname indexes begun
http://automatedgenealogy.com/ Beta transcripts begun

Online images are at http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/1911/index-e.html

Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
  • 2x G-Gma Sarah Page Simpso born Chilham Kent 1836
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 October 05 00:52 BST (UK) »
I found an old message posted on a forum in 2003 saying your Thomas was the s/o Alfred and Hannah Dawe...  Looks like this might be your Thomas' brother?

http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~maryc/north11.htm

14682-1915 Percy Ranson DAWE, 24, Miner, England, Cobalt, s/o A.J. DAWE & Hannah RAPSON married Edith Mary BULL, 24, England, Cobalt, d/o W.E. BULL & Jane BROOKS, Wtn Thomas & Margaret DAWE on December 24 1915, at Cobalt

The witness could be your Thomas....

Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 04:50 GMT (UK) »
There is a Thos. Dawe here,   http://members.shaw.ca/nanaimo.fhs/
There could be hundreds of Thomas Dawes...so it could just be a long shot...
But perhaps there are other family members one might recognize, so it
may be worth a shot to have a look...  J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Eillo, the Percy Ranson Dawe marriage you found, is the correct ancestor.  I didn't know he went to Canada, so that is a breakthrough.

Yes, the witnesses are Percy's sister, Margaret, and brother, Thomas.  It also gives Edith's parents.  I had incorrect information on them - something I've done a lot of lately. 

Thanks again for taking the time to find that.   Still not sure what I'm looking at but am checking for my grandparent's marriage with no luck so far.  All I really have to go on is my grandmother's memories, so no proof of where and when.  Thanks for pursing this.  RedFox
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 20:50 GMT (UK) »
J.J.  I got very excited about what you found for Thomas Dawe, until I checked his age.  He was born in 1890, so if he was in Canada in 1909, he would have been age 19.

Back to the drawing board.  Eillo did get one lead, now to track down the threads.   Thanks,  RedFox

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 November 05 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Ah, so you have a date of birth for Thomas...! Now we know!

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 November 05 03:40 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, Thomas was my grandfather and died the year after I was born.  I have been able to pinpoint his birth as 18 Sept 1890.  He first appears in the 1891 UK-YKS census for Skelton.  I just checked and found I hadn't written it in the file so had to take care of that.

He was still in Skelton in 1901, but from there I lose him until 1920 in the US.  He and his family lived about five miles south of where I grew up.  My Dad must have had fond memories of those years because we moved there in 1948 after several false starts. 

Grandpa died here in Michigan and his gravesite is in Southfield, 80 miles south of here, near where my sister lives.  She and I go there whenever I visit - our parents are buried there, as well as Dad's brother who was single.  The last place is for me; I divorced. 

It's been hard to track Grandpa from England to Canada to the US.  But easier than his father who was born in Cornwall, lived in Yorkshire, then Canada (maybe), then the US.

Uncle Percy who Eillo found became a Congregational Minister which was interesting after the other jobs he held.  He put him right up there with ministers at Gretna Green.  His uncle Percy was Alfred Dawe's brother and he was also a Congregational Minister.  It makes looking them up fun.  At least they both used their middle initial. 

I think I know a lot about the family. then surprise, something like what happened today with Uncle Percy being married in Canada in 1915.  Percy's bride, Edith, was born not far from where Percy grew up.  Now I've got more information to look up Edith's parents.   Yet another couple traveling from England to be married in Canada.  Grandpa and Grandma did that. 

I would love to know the full stories about that.  Percy and Edith were in their early 20's when they married.  Grandma was only 17 to Grandpa's 20.  If they were legally registered or whatever reason I can't find them, they married much sooner than Percy even though Tom is older. 

Today I had an email from one of GGM's relatives (Hannah Ranson).  So I'm off in a new direction.  Just have to finish the 1911 census.  Still nothing but this is the second time, I'm sure there is a good explanation.  RedFox