Author Topic: Military History - Royal Irish Fusiliers  (Read 4047 times)

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Military History - Royal Irish Fusiliers
« on: Monday 02 January 06 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm trying to trace someone missing from the 1881 and 1891 census returns, who I know was alive and my only link is now the 1871 census and reference to the Royal Irish Fusiliers.

Major William Nutter was born c.1843 in Accrington Lancashire and he married Elizabeth Alice Slinger, born c.1852  in Accrington.    No record can be found of this marriage or either of them in 1881/1891 census returns.    William Nutter died in Dec 1900 age 57 and in  the 1901 census Elizabeth is shown as a widow.     The marriage was without issue.

The census for 1871 records William Nutter living in Rough Lee House Accrington and he is described as "Retired from the 89th Fusiliers (Royal Irish Fusiliers)".   Possibly William returned to the RIF, Elizabeth followed him to foreign shores where they married?   It's a possible explanation why William and Elizabeth are missing fron 1881/1891?

Can anyone point me in the direction of a RIF website where I could post my missing relatives.    Grateful for any help.

Gerry

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Military History - Royal Irish Fusiliers
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 January 06 15:57 GMT (UK) »
the Nutters and Slingers of Roughlee eh?  witch shouldn't prove to much of a problem  ;D

this is a link to the RIF Museum, which also has a section about tracing officers prior to 1914

http://www.armymuseums.org.uk/amot-search/default.asp?Category=Amot&Service=Museum-Display&reference=0000000103

cheers

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 January 06 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Rough Lee House Accrington is said to be named after its more infamous predecessor, Rough Lee Hall  of Pendle Witch fame and William Nutter is said to be a descendant of Alice Nutter, the alleged witch,  hanged at Lancaster in 1612.     In a 'nut'shell  you  have quickly grasped the wider aspects of my posting and why I am trying to find more about William Nutter and then, hopefully,  his ancestors.     My family link to this is Major Nutter's wife, Elizabeth, who was the sister of my paternal great grandmother.

I have looked at the RIF website and find the links land me in a huge minefield.  Can you help me, would a short cut be to write to the RIF museum with the brief details I have on  Major Nutter?   Grateful for your help and advice.

Gerry

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 January 06 23:52 GMT (UK) »
i think a letter to the museum would be a good start, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

records on officers are much more easily available

good luck and let us know how you go on, always like a good chat (tox)

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 January 06 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I will write to the Curator tomorrow and let you know the outcome in due course.   Fingers crossed for a positive reply

Gerry

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 February 06 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Sory for the delay with this follow up.  Curator of the RIF museum says records for 'Nutter' for the years 1838 to 1871 and every third year  after that date to 1900 have been searched and there is no trace of Major William Nutter, nor in fact any officer with that surname.   It appears the best source of information would be the National Archives in Kew, London but accessing records at Kew means either a personal visit.    It was a disappointing reply and as I can't get to Kew I will draw a line.

He may not have been a Major with the RIF.  I know he used the rank of Major and  this rank may have come from his connection with the Territorial Force.   I know he died in Dec 1900 age 57.

Gerry

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 March 06 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie

Thanks for the explanation

Gerry

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 April 06 04:23 BST (UK) »
SLINGER,i thought i recognised that name,gerry,if your related to elizabeth alice slinger,then your uncles must be Lt william slinger of the east lancs regt,who was killed by shellfire while taking a work party up to the front lines on 23-7-1917,his brother george nicholas slinger had been killed by a sniper the previous year [28-11-16],i think the germans carved something on his grave marker about him being a gallant officer or something similar,there was a younger brother called tempest who was private 15622 RAMC,they were the sons of george nicholas +ellen augusta slinger,their mum also died during the war on 28-2-15,their father was the younger brother of elizabeth alice slinger,i think it was her husband william nutter who paid for major slingers education,enabling him to take up practice as a solicitor,major slinger had a pretty tough time with regards to his family because he lost his daughter when she was a baby,he remarried after the war and had 3 more children to his new wife esther,but sadly he died 5 years later on 16-12-1923 of pneumonia,tempest his only surviving son,went into practice with his father after the war,is he your uncle gerry
mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 April 06 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Mack

I can answer 'yes' to the relationships.    George Nicholas Slinger was the sister of my paternal great grandmother,  Mary Ellen Slinger and another sister, Elizabeth Alice Slinger maried William Nutter, who furthered GN Slinger's career as a solicitor.    Much of what you say is in a potted history on the Accrington Pals site - is this where your notes come from?   I have corresponded  with the author, Andrew Jackson. As you can see this posting started an attempt to find the marriage of William  Nutter and Elizabeth Alice Slinger.  Many have tried (in addition to this posting)  but so far its been a brick wall.   

Gerry