Author Topic: Military History - Royal Irish Fusiliers  (Read 4046 times)

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Military History - Royal Irish Fusiliers
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 April 06 11:40 BST (UK) »
some of the info is from solicitors and articled clerks in the great war and the accrington pals by william turner,plus snippets from here and there,i take a bit of interest in the accrington pals and all the other pals battalions,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 April 06 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerry

I only just picked up on your post but I noted your comments regarding not being able to get to Kew.

You may still be able to continue your research at Kew via a professional searcher as, conveniently, Discharge Papers for soldiers from 1760 to 1913 are still indexed by name, and so if you are so inclined, would not cost a fortune for someone to search on your behalf (they recommend professional researchers, and I understand some also advertise on Rootschat too)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/05v/

Working on the same principle try the Pension Records too.

Wishing you luck
Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 April 06 11:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendi

Thanks for your helpful reply.   I will try to follow this up shortly.

Gerry

Offline lansdorf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 October 13 14:02 BST (UK) »
Gerry, whilst looking for something else I chanced on your post from 2005 regarding Major Nutter.
I don't know how far you have got with your research or if you are still interested but were you aware that Major Nutter of Rough Lea Hall Accrington built a summer residence in Cleveleys Lancs? He must have had some influence in the area as there is a Nutter Road, Rough Lea Road, Slinger Road and Ellerbeck Road. (Miss Slinger was from Ellerbeck Hall Slaidburn). There is also a Slater Road named after one of Mrs Nutter's sisters Mrs Slater. It may be worth checking the local records. I have a photo with the Nutter's bungalow on it.

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 05 October 13 17:18 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for getting in touch.   I've researched the Nutter and Slinger families and I'm aware of much of what you tell me.   The road names of Nutter, Rough Lee and Ellerbreck feature in both Accrington and Cleveleys.   The thing that eludes me is the marriage of (Major) William Nutter and Elizabeth Alice Slinger.   

William Nutter died in 1900, his wife Elizabeth in 1920, both in Cleveleys and both are buried in Christ Church Accrington.  I have their obituaries which mention "wife of" - "wife of late husband" etc.  I, and others who have tried on my behalf, cannot find a marriage record, furthermore neither can be found in the census of 1881 and 1891.   Research suggests both were pillars of society, in matters military, politics and the church all of which strongly supports they were married - but no record  :-\     As for their absence from census records I've a hunch they might have been somewhere in Europe.

It's good of you to raise this thread again and I wonder if you have any family interest.   You also mention having a photograph of the Nutter bungalow in Cleveleys.   I would like a copy - are you able to post it?   As an alternative I could send you a PM with my email address.

Offline lansdorf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 05 October 13 17:50 BST (UK) »
Gerry

Sorry I was not of much help there. I have no direct interest in the Nutter family. I am interested in the history of The Fylde area....particularly Blackpool and Cleveleys areas. We were comparing a recently purchased postcard with some photos in a book on Cleveleys and I happened to read about Major Nutter and Accrington. I lived in Accrington for a short while in the 1950's so just out of idle curiosity I "Googled" Major Nutter and came across your post. The photo that I have is in the book. I can scan it and send you a copy along with a portion of the old OS map showing it's location. Let me have your email address and I will get to it. I'm not sure what a PM is ( personal message?) How do you do it?

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 05 October 13 18:51 BST (UK) »
I will send you a PM (personal message) with my email address.   For a PM use the green 'button'
below 'www.national archives'

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 06 October 13 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hi landsdorf...

The PM  system is a personal message system within Rootschat recommended for using private information.  To use it you need to have made three posts though and at the moment you only have two. If you reply to this post that will be three and then gerry will be able to message you.

You will then get a notification - or you can check messages by clicking on MY MESSAGES on the brown bar under the rootschat logo

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lansdorf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 06 October 13 22:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Milly