Author Topic: Jane Ann Grant  (Read 3897 times)

Offline claudius

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Ann Grant
« on: Monday 02 January 06 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone help. I know that my Great Grandmother was called Jane Ann Grant born in Scotland. I was lead to believe she was born in Inverness in about 1850. Her Father was called James and he was a farrier. She married a Policeman in England in 1867. Any more information about her birth would be most welcome.
I live in the North East of England.
  Patricia

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Ann Grant
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 January 06 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patricia

There is a birth of a Jane Ann Grant showing on IGI at www.familysearch.org The birth was on 11 Feb 1850 in Cromdale and Iverallan and Advie, Inverness. The parents of this Jane Ann Grant are given as James Grant and Elspet Shaw. This couple went on to have another 8 children all born in the same area between the years of 1839-59.

There is one other birth of a Jane Grant (no middle name registered) on 11 Jan 1855 to parents James and Mary Grant in the same location. 

Maybe the names of Jane Ann's children can guide you as to who her mother was.

Regards.
Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline claudius

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 January 06 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica
Thanks for your quick reply. I did find this birth but the father James is not a farrier. He has a drapers shop on the 1861 census and is aged 50. Jane got married in 1867. If this was her father he would be 56 and he has put his trade on the marriage certificate as a Farrier, thats why I don't think this is the right Jane Ann Grant. I have been trying to trace her for about 2 years now but have had no luck. Are you able to look at an 1871 census for 11/10 North side Main Street Granton. If Jane Ann is still there I would know that she is not the right one as my Jane Ann was in london then. She did not call any of her children James or Elspet.
Thanks a lot for sending me this info.
Regards
   Patricia.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 January 06 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patricia

Unfortunately, I don't have direct access to the 1871 census. I had another look at the IGI and brought forward the dates for Jane's birth to anytime between 1840-49 with a father James. There was only one birth in 1849 in Duthil, Inverness with the father James and mother Ann Smith. Just checking whether you had seen this one.

To help you in your search, Scotlands People have just announced that they are bringing on-line the 1841 and 1851 censuses with images imminently - fingers crossed!

Regards.
Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk