Author Topic: Meehan  (Read 17010 times)

Offline NIFTYFIFTY47

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Meehan
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat,

Are you male or female??  Just nosey!!  Is your mum still alive? Or is your Uncle Paddy alive?  Even if I had some names of their friends I might be able to probe a bit more.  Do you know if your mother went to the Mercy or Presentation convent school?  There are still a few ancient nuns around that might have memories of the family.  The Mercy nuns were friendly with the people on the Dublin Road as they were neighbours.

I have written to Mary in Chicago today asking her to jog her memory and see if she can remember anything.  It is most likely that your grandparents are buried in St. Mary's Cemetry in Carlow.  I'll keep digging and see if I can find out any more and if you think of anything let me know.  Every scrap of info. can be used to put together the puzzle known as a Family Tree.

Mary.

Offline NIFTYFIFTY47

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 15:57 BST (UK) »
HAVE I GOT NEWS FOR YOU!!!

Your grandfather was known as Jimmy and he worked in the Gas Works.  Your granny came from Clough which is near Castlecomer. Your Uncle Paddy married a girl from around Clough and they went to England.

Your grandparents are buried in St. Mary's Cemetry as I thought and I have a rough idea of where to start looking in the cemetry.  I am planning to buy a digital camera within the next couple of weeks so I will go to the cemetry and find the grave and take a picture for you.  I will also note all the info on the headstone and send you that.

Send me your email in a private message if you want.

I got all this info. from a lady who lived next door but one to the Meehans.

Mary.

Offline pat01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 April 06 08:58 BST (UK) »
How fantastic.  Thank you so much.  My mother and uncle are dead,  My mother I believe went to school at the convent.  I am not sure how long they lived in the dublin road.  How wonderful to find my grandparents grave,  I am thinking of coming over in September/October to Carlow so it would be good to see the grave.  also I will then have the years that they died and get their death certificates.  All I have about my grandfather was that he was a labourer.
Not sure if the information about my uncle is correct as he married a woman (Mary) from Cork and I can remember the strong Cork accent.
I think that I am the same age as yourself and I am female.

Offline pat01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 April 06 09:32 BST (UK) »
I think my mother went to mercy convent.  My uncle went to the brothers.  He had a bad time there and bunked off school.  He we a lovely man.  A gentle giant. 6ft 5.  All I can remember were the neighbours in Dublin Road.  Cannot remember their names.  My mother never talked about friends but I will ask my brothers and sisters.  My grnadmother had  seven children but five died at birth or in the first year.

Offline NIFTYFIFTY47

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 April 06 10:54 BST (UK) »
The friend I spoke to only remembered the two children which would figure as she would have been in her 30's in 1955.  I will try and find exactly where the grave is and if you come over in September we could meet up if you like and I could even take you to see my friend.

I was really excited yesterday when I got the information.  It was almost as exciting as finding a link in my own family.  It's so great that people are living longer these days so there are still people out there who remember!!

I got your email addy and will email you privately, but I wanted to put this on the board just to give other people hope.

Mary.

Offline pat01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 April 06 10:58 BST (UK) »
I can't tell you how excited and emotional I feel.  It is great to have the link with my grandparents.  I think that I only met them once and I was very small but somehow it feels good that I can go to their grave.
Thank you so much for being so helpful and putting yourself out for me.  it is appreciated and it would be good to meet up in September and your friend
Pat

Offline NIFTYFIFTY47

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 06 April 06 12:21 BST (UK) »
Well that's a definite "date" in September then.  I can get just as excited finding a link in another person's family as when I find a link in my own.  Maybe we will get lucky and find your grandmother's maiden name on the headstone.  That would be a good lead as Clough is only a small place and I would imagine it would be an easy trace.

Mary.

Offline pat01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 06 April 06 12:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry what an idiot I believe her maiden name was Doyle

Offline pat01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 15:46 BST (UK) »
Thought that I would let everyone know that I have been to Carlow and visited my grandparent's grave and have managed to trace my great grandparents.  It has been very exciting.