Author Topic: SLACK/EVANS/EDWARDS in BRYNFORD  (Read 3510 times)

Offline ndgrant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
SLACK/EVANS/EDWARDS in BRYNFORD
« on: Monday 13 September 04 18:35 BST (UK) »
My ancestors resided in Brynford from 1823 until their deaths.  Joseph Slack md. Eliza Evans in 1823, had two daughters: Mary and Eliza (my ancestor).  Joseph was a Lead Miner and died before the 1841 census (possibly in a mining accident?), when Eliza was listed with her second husband Jeffery Evans.  Eliza and Jeffery are listed in the 1841, 1851 and 1871 censuses but not in 1881.
I am searching for Joseph's death (1824 - 1841), Eliza's marriage to Jeffery Evans before 1841 and Eliza's and Jeffery's deaths (1871 - 1881).
Any suggestions from local historians/genealogists?  Thanks from Canada

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: SLACK/EVANS/EDWARDS in BRYNFORD
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 September 04 16:35 BST (UK) »
Only had time for a quick look, how does this sound to you?
Marriage; Holywell, 24/1/1823. Joseph Slack to Eliza Edwards. In the presence of David Bagshaw & Anne Jones

Baptisms;
24/8/1823, Mary, Daug of Joseph & Eliza Slack. Occ of Father, Miner. Abode H (for Holywell)?

31/12 1824; Eliza, Daug of Joseph & Eliza Slack. Occ of Father, Coleshill Colliery Miner. Abode, Brynford.

Burial; 22/2/1826, Joseph Slack Age 28. Brynford.

Let me know what you think?
I'll look for the rest next time I go to the Archives.
Paul

Offline ndgrant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 September 04 18:51 BST (UK) »
 :D
Paul, This is great.  I did have their marriage date and the children's baptismal dates but not Joseph's burial date.  Thank you.

I would be happy to reimburse you for some gasoline expenses on your next trip to the archives.   Please advise.
This information has been great.  Thanks so much. Darrell  ;D

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 September 04 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Darrell,
Glad to help out, that's why this is such a great site.
 Do you think all the Slack's in Brynford and Holywell would be the same Family? If you do would you like all the Slack's I can find. I will also look again for Eliza and Jeffery as you asked.

A few other Slack Burials I found;
25/9/1822; John age 53 Brynford
24/5/1823; Mary        89    "
10/8/1830; Joseph       1      "
21/5/1836; Eliz           63     "

Don't know if they belong to you?.... but it will give you something to think about.
Good luck
Paul

Offline ndgrant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 September 04 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,
I am unsure where my Slacks originated - some say they came from other mining areas in England, but I have not been able to confirm this.
Those people mentioned in your email may possibly be his parents (John and Eliz.) and post-humous child (Joseph).
If it is not too much trouble and considering the name is not too common, I would like to receive whatever you find re: Slacks.
Thanks again for your help.
Darrell

Offline ndgrant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 September 04 00:46 BST (UK) »
Paul,

One other thought.  Are there burial records located at the archives and would there be one for Brynford, listing all Slacks?

Thanks again for all of your help.
Darrell