Author Topic: Reckitts Roll of Honour (WWI)  (Read 3500 times)

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Reckitts Roll of Honour (WWI)
« on: Wednesday 04 January 06 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about the Reckitts RoH or their Boys' Club RoH? My great uncle (KIA 1915) is recorded as being on both and I would dearly like to find out if either are available for inspection or if they were lost at some point.

Thanks
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Reckitts Roll of Honour (WWI)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick,

Reckitts still have their Hull head office in Dansom Lane, maybe it could be worthwhile getting in touch with them.

I've a vague recollection of 'war memorial' being on a wall in the building somewhere but it's over 30 years since I worked there and you know what time does to ones memory ;)

good luck
Bee
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bee. I had it in my mind that Reckitts had merged with Colmans and as I know Colmans is a Norwich company, I didn't realise there was anything left in Hull. I'll get in touch with the company directly.
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 16:32 GMT (UK) »
It's now Reckitt Benckiser Healthcare (UK) Ltd !!!
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 17:16 GMT (UK) »
I called them up. A very helpful lady said that there was a chap who worked there who looked after the historical stuff. She took my name and number and my great uncle's name and promised that I would get a call back about this. I shall report back with details of what I uncover. This lady was able to tell me that there is still a WWI memorial on site - she only needed to hear why I was making enquriies to change her tone from cagey to extremely supportive. Watch this space for further news.

I will make sure that the chap I speak to is aware of the City of Hull website that recognises the war dead. If there is any info held by Reckitts that would augment what they have on the City website, I'll suggest they offer to share it. A reference to my great uncle appeared in a Reckitts staff magazine. I'll be ecstatic if they can make a copy of it for me.
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 18:17 GMT (UK) »
That's a bit of good new Nick, at least you seem to have had a postive response, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Reckitts (for short) always were a family friendly firm it would seem that maybe they haven't changed.
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 January 06 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Reporting back, I had a call today from a very nice chap who discussed the matter with me and then went away to do some digging. He then came back to me with the news that one of the two tablets that make up the WWI roll of honour is long lost (guess which one!!!) but that in the Reckitts staff magazine in the 1920s was an article with photographs of the memorial being dedicated. Apparently my great uncle's name is clearly visible in the photographs and I am to get a copy. I have also been promised a copy of the article in the staff magazine in which the death was recorded and this chap even found another article from December 1914 in which all the men who had joined up were listed. We also had a general discussion based on the photograph that exists of my great uncle in battledress. I have a feeling that all new recruits were photographed and I would dearly like to see if I can find a picture of my grandfather (I have never seen a picture of him as he died nearly 20 years before I was born). My dad's cousin definitely recalls seeing a picture of him in tropical uniform, so I know there is something to search for. This chap gave me a number of pointers in Hull on how I might try and find out whether any information is available.

When I get the information promised, I will add to this thread and hand out the plaudits that this undoubtedly deserves. Isn't it great when you can get to the stage when you can ask a specific question to somebody who will know the answer and that you then get the same sort of help that you personally would give to others?
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 January 06 18:43 GMT (UK) »
So pleased for you, isn't it nice when you come across someone who is genuinely willing and able to help, fingers crossed now that you get the photo you hope for. :)

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 January 06 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Reporting back, I have a copy of the article in the Reckitts staff magazine regarding the unveiling of the WWI roll of honour (with photographs), a copy of the issue of the magazine in which my great uncle's picture appears recording him being KIA (there are also some very interesting accounts from soldiers serving at the front) and a December 1914 edition listing the men of Reckitts serving in the armed forces. Interestingly Reckitts supported the joining up of married men by making up the difference between their former wages and army pay which strikes me as most benevolent. A wealth of information and I am delighted. I don't think it is appropriate to name the Heritage Officer at Reckitts who was so helpful, but rest assured I will send him a nice letter and if anybody else would like any information relating to this thread, please send me a PM
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell