Author Topic: GEDDES family - ROTHES  (Read 5404 times)

Offline Gillian Jones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GEDDES family - ROTHES
« on: Wednesday 04 January 06 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello to any Geddes members out there!
I've tracked my family back to Rothes and have a gt.gt.gt.gt. grandfather Robert Geddes born to an Alex Geddes and christened 15th March 1778.
Alex seems to have fathered quite a number of wee Geddes children but there is no mention of the poor mother and I have not been able to get the line back further.
Any suggestions would be gratefull received as I'm particularly proud of my Geddes roots
Best wishes
Jill nee geddes !!!!!
Geddes,Key,Welch,Prior,Gover,Palmer,Crook,Wareham,Bennett,Bullard,Fleming,Christie,Smith,Armstrong,Bragg,Lloyd,Robinson,Masters,Pankhurst,Abraham,Hibbs,Selby

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: GEDDES FAMILY - ROTHES
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill

I see what you mean about the number of children showing for Alexander! I think part of the reason might be that there is more that one Alexander who fathered all those children. There are at least two IGI marriages showing in the relevant period, although none in Rothes. Alexander marriages to:

1. Isobel Packman 1765 Duffus
2. Jean Thom 1771 Drainie

There's a couple more showing for 1740 which I would have thought too early. Unfortunately I think all the children for the above couples were registered in the names of the father only as there are no children showing when you do a parent search using both names.

Regards.
Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gillian Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Dear Monica,
thanks for your quick response. I'm sure you're right - I may never know which Alex is the correct one !!!
Robert Geddes joined the Royal Artillery and was based in Dover during the Napoleonic wars  where he married a local girl and the rest is history
Best Wishes
Jill
Geddes,Key,Welch,Prior,Gover,Palmer,Crook,Wareham,Bennett,Bullard,Fleming,Christie,Smith,Armstrong,Bragg,Lloyd,Robinson,Masters,Pankhurst,Abraham,Hibbs,Selby

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill

I see what you mean about the number of children showing for Alexander! I think part of the reason might be that there is more that one Alexander who fathered all those children. There are at least two IGI marriages showing in the relevant period, although none in Rothes. Alexander marriages to:

1. Isobel Packman 1765 Duffus
2. Jean Thom 1771 Drainie

There's a couple more showing for 1740 which I would have thought too early.

Take care! The reason the marriages don't show is most likely because many marriages are missing from the Rothes parish registers of the mid-18th century. It isn't safe to assume that it has to be one of those listed.

Forfarian
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: GEDDES family - ROTHES
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian

You're correct of course, it would be unsafe to assume that the only two IGI marriages showing for an Alexander were necesarily relevant to Jill's research. The general point I was trying to make and picking up from Jill's post, was that there was probably more than one Alexander responsible for the 18 or so births in Rothes showing for the relevant period on IGI. I gave the two marriage entries as examples, also to illustrate that all the 18 or so births only gave details of father's name as Alexander and not mother.

Regards.
Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 18:30 GMT (UK) »
The general point I was trying to make and picking up from Jill's post, was that there was probably more than one Alexander responsible for the 18 or so births in Rothes showing for the relevant period on IGI.

You are absolutely correct.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gillian Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help.
It could well be that I will never get back further ,particularly as the records are incomplete, but at least I've managed to get my Geddes roots back to Scotland
With thanks
Jill

Offline wdermot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 February 09 06:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi i hope this helps your quest for more information. 
My ancestor was Margaret Geddes from Duffus b 1773 and married William Finlay b 1773. They had a son Alexander b 1806.  Her father was William Geddes b 1756 who married Janet Davidson again in Moray.
Williams father was also William Geddes and he married Janet Laing - no dates at the moment but working on it. All the above and sources are recorded in ancestry.co.uk . I would thoroughly recommend www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk which is the site of the scottish national archives and is very straightforward to use with easily accessed records. One of the best sites I feel for scottish ancestry.
Good luck
walsh , boyle, inglis, finlay, geddes, lawson, mcgeechan, mcgee, gilliland .  69th foot, Scots Guards, Inniskilling Fusiliers , Mesenberg POW.  Co meath, glasgow, donegal; fermoy Co. cork,

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 16:56 GMT (UK) »
I have a Jane Geddes born 1812, died 1882 Fochabers, Moray. She married James Garden 4th June 1835.

Brendan