Author Topic: G.G.Grandmother  (Read 2225 times)

Offline Lukie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
G.G.Grandmother
« on: Wednesday 04 January 06 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to find the death of my g.g.grandmother Catherine Friel I know she was living in Leith from the 1881 cencus, my g.g.grandfather John died in 1895, she was still alive then, i have tried looking on the 1901 cencus but nothing so i am assuming she had died, i have looked at differant places but cannot find anything, she would have been in her 70's, the only thing that worries me is there surname changed over the years from "Freel ..Freeland...Friel which was on Johns death certificate and Frail which is what my grandfather used, any help would be great
Lukie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: G.G.Grandmother
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Luckie

Have you managed to find your gg grandmother's maiden name? This would help you when doing death cert searches on Scotlands People.

Regards.
Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lukie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica
Her maiden name was Logan and her parents names were David and Mary Logan and looking at the 1861 cencus she was from Haddingtonshire in England, i dont know if this will be of any help.
Lukie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lukie

I think you might just be! Firstly, I assume you've got details of John (Freel) and Catherine's wedding on 21 Nov 1857 in Innerwick, East Lothian.  I can't see their children easily, I think this is where the various spellings of John's surname doesn't help.

I've just looked on Scotlands People and did a search for Catherine's death using Logan only and viewed the results.  I think Catherine's death is there in 1897 age 73 in Gladsmuir, East Lothian. From the 'other surname' section her married name is now down as Trail! You obviously need to look at the cert. to confirm but it looks very promising.

Regards.
Monica

Offline Lukie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 January 06 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica
Thankyou so much for your help and yes it was the right one, could you or someone else help me with finding the birth of one of her sons Hugh, he was born about 1867 on the 1871 cencus his place of birth is Leith Edinburgh but on the 1891 cencus it is Eyemouth Berwick, i have tried looking on S.P. until i am blue in the face, for some reason his name on his marriage cert. and all his childrens surnames are down as Freeland so i really dont know where to look with all the differant surnames they seem to have gone by
Lukie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 January 06 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lukie

That's great, I'm glad it turned out to be the right cert for Catherine. Now, with your Hugh, I've seen some of your other posts on him. He really isn't there is he, either SP or IGI. I've done some very wide wildcard searches on SP for Hugh fr*l/fr*d for his birth years and nothing. Last night I went through individual batch codes for all of Lothian and Berwick looking for any Hugh with a father John and nothing.  What are the chances that he wasn't christened first name Hugh and maybe had Hugh as a middle name he went by? Is Hugh a dominant family name or did they perhaps use variants of it, e.g. ewan/ewen?

Regards.
Monica

Offline Lukie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 January 06 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica
It seems i jumped the gun a bit, when i re-checked the death cert. fir Catherine the parents are not the same, her parents were David and Mary Logan so the exitement was short lived so its back to the drawing board again so to speak
Lukie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 January 06 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Luckie

Oh that's a pain!! More so because nothing else is coming up that fits. The SP search I did under name Logan for Catherine, age 1830 +/- 10 years anywhere in Scotland brought up 24 entries. The 'other surname' section all have names which with the exception of Trail are nowhere near any possible variants of the family surname. I also tried searching for F*l and F*d (can't get much more open in the search than that!) as the first surname and then Log*n and got nil results.

The only question I have is on the cert that you viewed for 1897,  did it show a Catherine widow to a John Trail and then different names of parents? If so, who registered her death.  Just some ideas here, struggling to give you options because at this stage I can't see any other possibilities on SP.

Regards.
Monica

PS: In one of your earlier threads you said Catherine came from Haddingtonshire in England, I presume this is a mistake as it in Scotland (now part of East Lothian). There is a sumitted IGI birth in 1834 in Haddington, East Lothian of a Catherine Logan to parents John and Catherine Harrier, I noticed that John Freeland and Catherine's first daughter was called Catherine (after mother?).

Offline Lukie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 January 06 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica
As far as Catherines birth goes on the 1871 census it say she was born in Daddintonshire but on the 1881 one it says England, her marents names were John and Mary Logan. as far as Jemina and Hugh goes i think i will just have to give up, i know Hugh named one of his sons Hugh and my grandfather was named Hugh i am assuming after his uncle, I know John Freel was from Ireland i think from Kigarven so i dont know if the name Hugh has come down from other family members, anyway thank you for all your help
Lukie