Author Topic: 18 George Street, Spennymoor  (Read 5711 times)

Offline searlejb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
18 George Street, Spennymoor
« on: Wednesday 04 January 06 21:49 GMT (UK) »
I have traced one of my ancestors to the above address in 1875 (he was a miner originating from Cornwall) - can anyone tell me whether this street still exists? Thanks.

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 18 George Street, Spennymoor
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 January 06 02:27 GMT (UK) »
I hope I am not going to send you up the wrong street, as I don't have local knowledge of Spennymoor, but can I suggest the following idea?

If you go to the website www.old-maps.co.uk and search for Spennymoor in County Durham you should find an 1861 map of the area. This shows a George Street running north of and parallel to the High Street. Just below and slightly to the left is a railway station.

Then try www.multimap and by searching with the post code for the Spennymoor Town Council which is DL16 6DG you should find an up-to-date map of the same area. I can not see a George Street, but I think it would have been in the same area as North Street or Jackson Street are today.

Another website to try is www.picturespennymoor.co.uk and there you will find details from Kelly's 1929 Directory. This lists several people living in George Street, plus three public Houses and a Registered Lodging House.

I hope I have not sent you in the wrong direction, and perhaps someone with local knowledge could help with more up-to-date information for you.

Good Luck, Patsy

All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Elstob, Fidler, Hunter, Strong (Northumberland)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)
Berry, Graham, Urquhart (Scotland)
Thompson, McCullough (County Down, Ireland)

Offline searlejb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 January 06 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the advice - I'll have a look at those maps and also see if I can get somebody local to give me more info.

John

Offline RuthieB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 January 06 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi John and welcome to Rootschat!!

I have an up-to-date Philip's street atlas of County Durham (I live in Wales these days and am researching family members from West Auckland and that area so this map bbok is very useful!) and I can't find a George Street.

However, as Patsy says, someone more local may well be able to add something...

best wishes, RuthieB
Jones, Mantle; Radnorshire
Russell, Stonehouse, Agar; Yorkshire/Durham
Brown, Fair; Durham,  
Little, Cumberland
Morris, Woolley, Owens; Montgomeryshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline picspen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 January 06 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I run the picturespennymoor website mentioned by one of the other posters. I can confirm that George Street no longer exists. I reckon it must be at least 40 years since it was demolished, although I can't be certain. If you want any more info about Spennymoor, please drop me an email and I'll try my best to help. I can show you where it was on a map if you're interested.
Paul. (paul AT picturespennymoor.co.uk)
 Moderator comment.  Email altered in accordance with rootschat policy.  Please use AT to avoid spammers.