Author Topic: HEMMINGS Family - Northampton  (Read 32000 times)

Offline rthom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: HEMMINGS Family - Northampton
« Reply #45 on: Monday 24 August 09 00:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy:

Thank you so much for digging this out -- wow -- much like one of those good news, bad news stories with the urban development bulldozers lurking in wait!  :(

It is interesting, and incredible, that 28 Abington Street still shows as a bakery in 1954. We know that the Hemmings family bakery business moved to No. 28 sometime between 1863 and the 1871 census, although Thomas Hemmings had founded the business over 20 years earlier in 1838, first on Augustin Street and later on Regent Square.

One possibility is that Herbert Edward's children continued the business in the late 1930s (Herbert having died in 1932 and his sister Clara Hornby in 1941).  Or perhaps the business was sold?  ???

Thanks again!

Best regards, rthom
Surname interests: Acfield (Ackfield, Hackfield) - SFK, LON / Adams - BDF / Askham - NHT / Baldrey - SFK / Charlwood - LON / Hall - NFK, ESS, LND / Hemmings (Hemings, Heming) - WAR, OXF, NHT, LON / Hibbert - BRK / Ivey - LON / James - OXF / Manning - NHT / Mason - NHT / Pearson - WAR, NHT / Pizzy - SFK / Polly (Polley) - OXF / Rivers - SFK / Sargeant - WAR, SRY, LON, USA / Simons (Simonds) - BDF / Taylor - NHT / Wiggins - OXF

Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 24 August 09 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hi rthom.

In the directories in 1952 it was being run by Adams the bakers
 and in 1954 Theobalds.

Therefore not sure when it changed from Hemmings.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline rthom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 24 August 09 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy:

Many thanks for clearing that up. I thought it was a long shot. :)

Regards, rthom
Surname interests: Acfield (Ackfield, Hackfield) - SFK, LON / Adams - BDF / Askham - NHT / Baldrey - SFK / Charlwood - LON / Hall - NFK, ESS, LND / Hemmings (Hemings, Heming) - WAR, OXF, NHT, LON / Hibbert - BRK / Ivey - LON / James - OXF / Manning - NHT / Mason - NHT / Pearson - WAR, NHT / Pizzy - SFK / Polly (Polley) - OXF / Rivers - SFK / Sargeant - WAR, SRY, LON, USA / Simons (Simonds) - BDF / Taylor - NHT / Wiggins - OXF

Offline Norair

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 13 January 13 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi i am new to this site, my mother was Barbra Hemmings daughter of smith hemmings.
Smith hemmings was a marine store dealer who lived on green st Northampton.
A marine store dealer was one below a rag and bone man.
I have photos of the house a details of his large family.

I would love to hear from anyone with ties to the Northampton family of Thomas HEMMINGS (1816-1892) and Sarah MANNING (1820-1904). 

Thomas was the eldest son of John HEMMINGS (1792-1841) and Sarah TAYLOR (1794-1869) who ran The Boot Inn on College Street in Northampton for 30 years (see later thread on The Boot); and Sarah was the daughter of James MANNING (1787-1862) and Susanna MASON (1789-1859). 

Thomas & Sarah ran the Hemmings Bakers and Confectioners business (locations at 14 Regent Square, 28 Abington Street, and 7 George Row) that was founded in 1838 and was still operating in the late 1920s under the management of their children.  In particular, I would be very interested to make contact with descendants of Thomas & Sarah's children (there were 13!):

Susan Elizabeth Hemmings (1840-1871), m. Alfred WYATT;
Mary Ann Hemmings (1845-aft1924), m. HIGGINS;
William Thomas Hemmings (1849-1914), m. (i) Mary Elizabeth PEARSON,
                                                            (ii) Magdalena Elizabeth STEINBACH;
Sarah Louisa Hemmings (1851-aft1928), m. Alfred William WARREN;
Frances John Hemmings (1856-1888), m. Charlotte HOLLAND;
Clara Hemmings (1857-1941), m. James A. HORNBY;
Herbert Edward Hemmings (1859-1932), m. Clara Ann DANIEL;
Kate Emma Hemmings (1862-aft1928), m. John Helms PRUE;
Walter George Hemmings (1864-1947), m. Gwendoline Clara GOULD.

I have the family extensively researched and would be pleased to share information with other descendants and to learn more about the family in the hundred year Northampton period, 1830-1930.

Thanks, rthom

Offline rthom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 31 January 13 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Norair:

Thanks for making contact.  And welcome to the forum.  I'm afraid I have not come across a Smith Hemmings in my diggings so far, so I am afraid I am not able to draw any connections. I can see your Smith Hemmings, 28, in the 1911 Census in Northampton living with his wife Barbara and children Walter, George and Lizzie.  In 1891, Smith is recorded as the son of John & Ann Hemmings.  Your family appears to come from Fenton Staffordshire.

Regards, rthom

Offline jeh1967

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 08 June 13 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi rthom

Smith Hemmings was
my great grandad. He was a rag and bone man.  My dad was Thomas Smith Hemmings 3.6.41-17.9.10.  His parents were William Hemmings and Nelly Hemmings (nee Facer)

Offline rthom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 09 June 13 00:56 BST (UK) »
Hello jeh1967:

I am afraid your family is not connected with my tree.  But I will let you know if I come across anything interesting.

Regards, rthom

Offline Maggie21

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Are you still looking at Hemmings family from Northampton?  My late mother-in-law was Gwen Bryan née Hemmings.  Her late brother, Jack, ran Hemmings Brothers on Abington square in Northampton until around the 1970's.  A beautiful furniture, China, glass, soft furnishings store with modern designs.  The window of the shop had two concave windows early on which I remember as a child, not sure if it was Hemmings at that time.  We do have a small dish with Hemmings logo which was used for potted meat!  My husband remembers Uncle Herbert and various aunts from that generation.

Offline rthom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello:

I am most certainly still looking for information on my Hemmings family in Northampton.  And you have rung some bells with the comments in your message. 

A personal message will be on its way to you shortly.

Thanks for making contact.

rthom