Author Topic: adoption in us  (Read 812 times)

Offline syd

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
adoption in us
« on: Friday 06 January 06 16:17 GMT (UK) »
I am unable to find adoption records for a Thomas Kemp Polley born Aug 1885 England.He was in Minnesota with his mother Mrs Bertha Polley,in 1889.She was in the Harriet Walker hospital  there and had a daughter Harriet Polley in Aug 1889.She returned to England with her daughter,November time but without her son,having given him up for adoption.She was not over there with her Husband James Polley but with her brother James Kirton,who apparently deserted her.
We have correspondance sent from Mrs Harriet Walker to a Mrs Porter,which is the name Bertha took on at the hospital,Mrs Walker refers to Bertha's  son as Harold not Thomas.
I would be extremely grateful for any leads on the adoption and any info on what sites to check out .
Researched Dewdney.Polley.Preston.Cooper.Fowler.Mills.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: adoption in us
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 January 06 23:00 GMT (UK) »
I think it might be useful if you contacted the Minnesota State Archives or the Minnesota Historical Society with your query.

http://www.mnhs.org/preserve/records/

They would know when adoption legally began in the state and therefore from what date state/county records might be obtainable from. In England adoption legally only began in 1927 which is when the index starts which is held at The Family Records Centre. Before that in England it was on a more adhoc basis with relatives taking children in and informally adopting them, or close friends etc. If the child was placed in care then the poor law guardians would either put the children in homes or pay to have them looked after by families - fostered in other words, so records are more patchy. I think you need to find out what the situation re adoption was in Minnesota in 1889 and the state archives or historical society should be able to tell you that and where it might be best to look for surviving records.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline syd

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: adoption in us
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 January 06 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that I have E-mailed them and awaiting a reply.
Researched Dewdney.Polley.Preston.Cooper.Fowler.Mills.