Author Topic: Angel Inn  (Read 2835 times)

Offline Ricardian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Angel Inn
« on: Saturday 07 January 06 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know where the Angel Inn was in Castleton? My gt grandfather George Rickards lived in a house between the Angel Inn and the grocer's shop. I went for a drive around Marshfield but could not find one existing now. However, thinking about it since the family were always said to have lived in Castleton but on the census the birthplace of my grandfather was Marshfield, which I now realise was the Parish while Castleton was the enumaration district. I would be grateful for any information.

Ricardian
Rickards, Gower, Eynon, Davies, Jones/John, Williams, Phillips,Hillier,Hawker,Maddocks.

Offline denben

• RootsChat Member
  • Can't stop until I know everything!
    • View Profile
Re: Angel Inn
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 January 06 00:00 GMT (UK) »
This is a link for the entry in Kelly's Directory 1901.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~familyalbum/kmarshfi.htm

This says that the 'Angel' is in Castleton - I think that this rules out Marshfield.  I'll see if I can find the exact location.
Researching BENNETTs of Worcester & COTTERELLs of Westbury-on-Trym.  JAMES of Cheltenham, Charlton Kings  & West Town, Shirehampton. FORDS of Chawleigh and Budleigh Salterton, Devon.

Offline Ricardian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 January 06 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much. I didn't think about Kellys. George is in there but it does not give his address.  He was a tailor and wool draper. He wouldn't be in the 1901 because he was dead then and my grandfather lost the business in the early 1890s.

Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Ricardian
Rickards, Gower, Eynon, Davies, Jones/John, Williams, Phillips,Hillier,Hawker,Maddocks.

Offline denben

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 January 06 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ricardian

I was in Newport Library today so I found out a bit more.  As usual there's good news and bad.

Hope that you can understand this:

If you approach Castleton from the Newport side you will see a big pub on the right - The Coach and Horses.  There used to be a row of cottages that ran from this pub towards Cardiff.  There was then a turning right, Mill Lane.  The first building on Mill Lane was the Angel Inn, then a cottage and then a Methodist Chapel.  From your info I believe that George would have lived in the last cottage in the row on the main road.

I found a typed booklet on Castleton that was written by a lady during her time at college and this seems to confirm my theory.  It gives a list of the occupations of the people who lived in that row about 1871.  Starting from the Coach and Horses the last four before Mill Lane are:

Mason
Shoemaker
Shopwoman
and....................Master Tailor!!!

There is a picture of this row in a book published by Marshfield WI and also in the South Wales Argus of 6th Feb 1959.

Sadly, the picture in the local paper was there because this is when all the buildings that I have described were demolished to widen the A48.

Regards, Denben

Researching BENNETTs of Worcester & COTTERELLs of Westbury-on-Trym.  JAMES of Cheltenham, Charlton Kings  & West Town, Shirehampton. FORDS of Chawleigh and Budleigh Salterton, Devon.

Offline Ricardian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 January 06 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Denben

Thank you very much for all your help. It is so good to be able to picture where they lived. My cousin and I drove through Castleton and Marshfield a few weeks ago and we saw the Coach and Horses. I did wonder if that had been the Angel Inn and whether it had been renamed. I expect that my gt grandfather would be horrified to see it now- A48 and delightful foot bridge!!

The next time I visit my sister in Bridgend I will call in at Newport Library. Are the book and the newspaper easy to access, you don't have to be a member do you?

I believe that they were Baptists, so the Baptist Chapel on the other side of the A48 (presumably this would have been the other side of the village in those days) bears this out.

Thank you again it is adding to the information that I have got of the family and to be able to see a picture of where they lived will be great.

Regards

Ricardian 

Offline denben

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 January 06 23:41 GMT (UK) »
They are very helpful in the reference library.  I asked if they had anything on Castleton and the librarian went off and came back with 4 publications.  Two of them are 'modern' but the WI publication and the typed up notes about Castleton and Marshfield were just right.  The picture in the WI book is much better than the one in the 'Argus' so I wouldn't bother with that one.   This picture will give you an idea of what the village was like.

By the way, Mill Lane is still there - although all the houses are modern except for the ancient 'Wentloog House'.

Just one more bit of info........ the 1891 census shows that 'Artemis Rickards' was living there, a tailor and draper.  So probably still in the family.

Offline Ricardian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 January 06 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Yes Artemas was my grandfather. He lost the business soon after 1891 and moved to Cardiff. I believe that his half sister Mary was still living in Castleton in 1901 according to the census. I can see that you are looking for ancestors in Worcester. I live in Bewdley which is about 12 miles from Worcester, so if you ever want a return favour I would be happy to do it.

Thank you again you found another piece of the jigsaw for me.

Ricardian

Offline denben

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 January 06 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the offer - I might need help in the future.