Author Topic: What Estate and Where  (Read 3001 times)

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
What Estate and Where
« on: Sunday 08 January 06 15:51 GMT (UK) »
I have my Grt Granfathers death certificate from Scotlands People,it says he died at Duns Berwick in 1876 and his fathers occupation was estate manager,i wonderd how i can find out what estate.My Grt gandfather was John Morrison born on the Isle of Lewis but married at Haddington.His farther William Morrison{ESTATE MANAGER}was also born on the Isle of Lewis,am i right in presuming it would have been an estate in the Berwick area as i cant see there being any estates on Lewis.I tried to find Williams death certificate but cant so i dont know where he died.Is there another way i can find what estate he managed.Anne.
Ayrshire,Kennedy,Faulds,Cuthbert,Crawford,Young,Edgar,Bell
Dundee,Nicol,Cant,Kennedy,Jamison,
Dumfrieshire,Wilson,Maxwell,Lammie,Cowan,Young,

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: What Estate and Where
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 January 06 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Anne

Don't assume the estate was in the Berwickshire/Borders area!
There are quite a few there but on Lewis crofters too rented their crofts from the estate so don't rule it out. Try Googling for 'Borders estates' or something similar and follow some of those leads first.

If you think it may have been Lewis ask your library if they can get you a copy of "Croft History  Isle of Lewis" by Bill Lawson  ISBN 1 872598 12 9.

It may seem a hopeless search but finding that elusive link is almost as good as a double malt whisky to me at least!   ;)

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: What Estate and Where
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 January 06 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Russle,thankyou for your help.I didnt think about doing the Google search thats a good idea,i will do that tonight when i get home from work and i will let you know how i got on.Anne.
Ayrshire,Kennedy,Faulds,Cuthbert,Crawford,Young,Edgar,Bell
Dundee,Nicol,Cant,Kennedy,Jamison,
Dumfrieshire,Wilson,Maxwell,Lammie,Cowan,Young,