Author Topic: Ward and Kitchin  (Read 5066 times)

Offline jkennerdale

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Ward and Kitchin
« on: Monday 09 January 06 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Im looking for info on Thomas Ward who married Ann Kitchin in Kendal c1795.
He was born in Heversham she in Crosby Ravensworth
many thanks
Judith
Kennerdale Yorkshire and Lancashire
Best, Dorset
Hillman, Trowbridge

OPC for Trowbridge

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
Re: Ward and Kitchin
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 January 06 12:09 GMT (UK) »
 :)
Hi
The only thing I can find is them on the 1851 census
Thomas Ward head mar 78  retired farmer  Heversham Westmorland
Ann Ward wife mar 79                             Crosby Ravensworth Westmorland
Living at  Gressingham
Lancashire
HO107/2273
folio 413
page 8
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jkennerdale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 January 06 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your help!

judith
Best, Dorset
Hillman, Trowbridge

OPC for Trowbridge

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 April 07 13:22 BST (UK) »
Judith
The IGI has a marriage date of 14 May 1796.  You probably already have this.

I assumed from your post that you had ancestry for Ann Kitching.  If not, I have some details if you are interested.
regards
Deborah

Offline jkennerdale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 April 07 19:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your message. Any information you might have would be very welcome. Ann Kitching is my husbands ggggrandmother.
kind regards
Judith
Best, Dorset
Hillman, Trowbridge

OPC for Trowbridge

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 April 07 20:45 BST (UK) »
Judith
I have an Ann Kitching christened in Crosby Ravensworth on 13 Mar 1772.  I am assuming that this is your Ann.

I cannot guarantee the accuracy of everything that follows.  I am doing a one-place study of CR and I don't put so much effort into verification as I do for family history.

part 1:

She was the daughter of John Kitching and Margaret (Willis or Willan) who married on 10 Nov 1766.  John Kitching was a tailor and appears on the 1787 census for CR living with his unnamed wife, 3 sons and 2 daughters.  He is buried on 26 Jul 1806 aged 60 at CR.  Margaret appears on the 27 May 1811 census as a widow, living in a household of 1 female (herself) and 2 males in CR.  She is buried in CR in Oct 1829 aged 88.

They have 9 children: James, John, Ann, Margaret, Dinah, Edward, Thomas, Richard and Elizabeth between 1767 and 1788.

I have not got an ancesty for Margaret Willan.

John Kitching is (I think) the son of Edward and Dinah Bayley who marry on 24 Apr 1731.  I don't actually have a record of his christening but of their 10 children christened in CR, there is a gap of 4 years which nicely accommodates John in 1745.  There is a burial of an Edward Kitching a pauper aged 85 in CR on 6 Feb 1795.  Dinah is buried on 08 Aug 1777.

There is a land tax entry for an Edward Kitching who is assessed at 1s in 1765.  An Edward Kitching also rents 11.5 gates in Cow Close from the Lowther estates between 1735 and 1737.

There is a christening for Edward Kitching on 19 Jun 1709 to James.  I think this James married Agnes Bland on 17 Jun 1705.  In Oct 1757 this James gives evidence to an enquiry into land/rights of way etc:

"James Kitchin aged 81 years and upwards having been born and lived in Crosby Ravensworth all his life gave evidence about right of way and repair of highway" and refers to John Hall having attempted to hire him to repair a bridge around 1700.

That's all for now.  part 2 to follow
regards
Deborah

Offline jkennerdale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 April 07 20:58 BST (UK) »
This is just wonderful Deborah, I can't thank you enough!
Can't wait for part 2!!
kindest regards
Judith
Best, Dorset
Hillman, Trowbridge

OPC for Trowbridge

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Kitchin - part 2
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 April 07 20:34 BST (UK) »
Glad you liked part 1.  The same warnings apply to part 2.

part 2
backing up a bit:
The children of Edward and Dinah are: James, William, Dinah, Agnes, Edward, Thomas, (John here I think), Thomas, Elizabeth, Elizabeth, Benjamin, Ruth between 1731 and 1755.

James and Agnes Bland have the following children: Edward, James, Isabel, Thomas, Elizabeth Mary between 1709 and 1715.

James is assessed for poor relief tax on 18 Nov 1702 at 11.5d.

James is buried on 17 Jul 1757 and Agnes on 20 Jan 1763.

Again I don't (yet) have an ancestry for Agnes Bland.

James is the son of Edward and Agnes Lidell.  Edward and Agnes marry on 14 Jun 1666 and have Thomas, Edward, Edward, John and James between 1666 and 1675.  (The records for CR are not very good during the civil war, the commonwealth and for several years beyond.)

Edward is christened 07 Apr 1637 to Thomas.  On 19 Jun 1671 he apparently owed £2 to (the estate of) Thomas Parking of Meaburn.  Edward was buried on 07 Apr 1689 as Edward of Gilse but Agnes was buried on 4 Nov 1716 as Agnes of Blasterfield.

Thomas Kitching is christened on 27 Jul 1600 to Lancelot.  He marries Jane Addison on 10 Sep 1627 and they have Jane, William, Agnes and Edward between 1628 and 1637.  There is no Thomas Kitching on the protestation return for CR and I don't know why.  On the 1669-1672 hearth tax a Thomas Kitchine is assessed for 1 hearth in Crosby Ravensworth.

On 19 Jun 1671 he also owed Thomas Parking of Meaburn £2.

Thomas was buried in Dec 1674.  Jane was buried on 17 Nov 1677.

Lancelot Kitching married Jane Ion on 20 Jul 1598 in Crosby Ravensworth.  They have Thomas James and Agnes.  Jane is buried on 25 Jun 1607 and Lancelot remarries.  I do not know any details of this second marriage but there were two more children Elizabeth and Margaret.

Jane Ion is the daughter of James Ion and Christian.  Christian is buried on 7 Feb 1584/5 and James marries again -  Elizabeth Powley on 22 Jun 1585.  Christian has children Lancelot, Catherine, another daughter, and Jane.  Elizabeth Powley has Elizabeth.

James Ion writes his will on 3 Mar 1598/9 and is buried on 7 Mar 1598/9.  He leaves an old ark to "Lancelot Kitching sonne of Edward".  Lancelot Kitching is also assessed as owing his estate 17s and 2d.  Edward Kitching is one of the assessors for the inventory but I'm not sure that this is the same Edward - possibly a cousin.

Lancelot Kitching is buried on 11 Jun 1637.

The parish registers for CR start in 1569 and baptisms are missing for 1573 to 1593 so it is difficult to go back much before this.

I am sorry I don't have much information on the women the Kitchings marry.  It's just unfortunate.  On the other hand it's fortunate that I've pretty much covered the Kitchings.

The index to the CR parish register is online somewhere so you can follow most of this ancestry using that.  I urge you to check everything.  I've splurged all this down from my database and there is great potential for mistakes.
regards
Deborah

Offline jkennerdale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 April 07 20:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Deborah. This makes a fascinating read. I shall take your advice and take a look online for the registers. Good luck with your research. If I can ever help you from Wiltshire, just ask.
thank you again, kind regards
Judith
Best, Dorset
Hillman, Trowbridge

OPC for Trowbridge