Author Topic: WILSON  (Read 1700 times)

Offline tess4207

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
WILSON
« on: Tuesday 10 January 06 02:35 GMT (UK) »
Seeking family info James Wilson b abt 1800,Margaret Wilson b abt 1760 ? born  Kirkpatrick Juxta Dumfriesshire ? wife of John Wilson.residing Peelbraehope Cavers Roxburghshire 1841
Trying to establish maiden name of Margaret or family links.
Thankyou
AGAR ALLAN HAYWARD BUDD COMBE ELLIS JOHNS MCARTHUR MCDONALD MCKENZIE MANSER MILLER MORGAN MORRIS
NEWBOLD NICHOLS ODONNELL PEARCE PENNINGTON PRIDHAM REDPATH SHIELLS WILSON

Offline Isobel

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: WILSON
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 14:02 GMT (UK) »
I have Wilson's in my family Benjamin Wilson born about 1830 Mouswald Dumfries and his children were born Kirkpatrick Juxta.  Don't know if connected.

Hogg, Fordyce, Rogers, Robinson, Crawford Bell ,Little

Offline Bunty3Black

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WILSON/Brown
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 July 07 01:30 BST (UK) »
I am at an impass with my Wilson ancestry. They were early emigrants to Galt, Upper Canada[now Cambridge, ON.]I located a scant bit of info from their burial record [Cedar & Dickie Cemetery] Alexander Wilson, DOB: 25 Oct. 1826; wife- Agnes Brown, DOB: 16 July 1826; Names of their children; Mary Hope; Robert Leondis; Jane Robinson; Elizabeth; Helen; Alice; Agnes; With Scottish Naming Patterns in mind, I am wondering if these families are connected. I have searched the IGI on Scot Origins, Family Search and Census [Just says Scotland]records to which  I have access. Immigrants for Galt, N. Dumfries, were encouraged from the Scottish Borders. Family Lore states that the Browns were educators.
Jane married James Oliver and homesteaded in MB. 1878;
Helen married George Thomson, and homesteaded in the Parkland area near Nanton, Alberta; Mary married Jim Brody, and I believe remained in Ontario.
I hope someone could make suggestions of how I could find from where in Scotland they originated.

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 July 07 02:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Bunty

Do you know when they went to Canada ? if you have them on 1841 does it say they were born in or out of the county ?

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Bunty3Black

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 July 07 21:35 BST (UK) »
This is my problem! I find many Wilsons in both Upper Canada[Ontario] as well as in Scot.'41 Census. From the death date, both Alex & Agnes would have been 15 yrs of age in '41. I have found a Brown family- Pl. of B. Dumfriesshire,Scot. Address-Sandyholm Schoolhouse. As well, many of the names listed correspond with the names given the children in N. Dumfries, Co. Wellington, Ont. I was hoping to find their Marriage -probably in Scot, . thought I had it at Denny until I found the info from Cemetery records and realized they would have married at age 11. Not very likely! Many came to N. Dumfries in 1847, but Alexander was a farmer and as Land was costly, my other ancesters could not afford to buy in ON. and migrated to homestead in MB in 1878. This led me to explore the avenue that perhaps they were among the very early ON settlers. Browns are in another family branch and arrived c/1826. Also find Wilsons as pioneer settlers . I am unable to find a Marriage in either ON. Or Scot. I believe that would be a clue, but I do not know where to even request one.