Author Topic: Mongans from Co Sligo  (Read 2579 times)

Offline oisin7571

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mongans from Co Sligo
« on: Tuesday 10 January 06 19:28 GMT (UK) »
I know this is a long shot but...........
I was wondering if anyone had any listings for the surname MONGAN in their family tree's, originating from Co Sligo. I am researching a Mongan line in Co Mayo, who emigrated to the US and I was contacted by a fellow researcher in the US who is trying to trace his gg grandfather who came from Co Sligo, so I offered him any assistance in the matter (seeing as he is going to continue my search in the US).

The elusive Mongan we are looking for is a Dennis Mongan, born in Co Sligo somewhere in the 1770's. He emigrated to the US around 1800 and did what every Irish person was told to do in the Bible - "go forth, multiply, fill the earth and conquer it". There are hundreds of descendants originating from this Mongan line in present day US.

So if anyone has come across a Mongan (or it could be spelt Mangan, Mongey, Manghan etc.,) in their Co Sligo family tree's or if you have come across a birth record for Dennis Mongan - please let me know.
Many thanks in advance for your help.
Sarah  ;D
Boylan - Co Cavan, Ireland
Breen - Co Wexford, Ireland
Duffy - Co Mayo, Ireland
Kearns - Co Mayo, Ireland

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Mongans from Co Sligo
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 September 06 03:56 BST (UK) »
Hiya Sarah,

Almost 200 years after your Dennis Mongan was born in Sligo there was one Mongan, Michael,
a civil servant, living in Belfast. He's listed in the 1960 Directory of Belfast and Northern Ireland.

All the Best, Christopher