Author Topic: Referred by Scotland General Board  (Read 3836 times)

Offline Shanty

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Referred by Scotland General Board
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 February 08 00:18 GMT (UK) »
I have McFadzean (AKA McFaddsen, McFaddzen) in my family.  Jessie was born in 1866 to a William McFadzean and Agnes Jane McLean.  Jessie married John Airdrie.  I don't know if this is relevant to anyone but thought it might help.

Regarding the DNA research, it can be very enlightening if you keep in mind that last names were often adopted from place names and such.  My husband did the DNA test.  It was very easy.  He purchased a 37 marker test.  The smaller one really doesn't give you much and the larger one doesn't give much more.  He used the http:\\www.familytreedna.com site for his and it links to other international DNA databases.  We have nothing conclusive yet for him but the funny thing is that my husband was a Fleming and several sites reference his closest link is to the Scottish "Burns" family.  We always figured he was adopted...LOL.

There is a test that can also be used with women although the markers change more frequently from generation to generation so the data is inconclusive although it can point you in the right geographical direction.  It is the mtDNA test.  Hope this helps some.

-Shanty
Airdrie, Ardrie, Walker, Fleming, Walsh